Chapter 22: For Now, For Always

(A/N)

Sniffle, sniffle. This... is... the... last... chapter. Thank you all for being amazing fans and making me get this book somewhere. Thank you all for voting and reading. If it weren't for you guys and your comments this book wouldn't exist. Thank you all my beautiful, fishy, swimmingly awesome merpeople!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Scarlett's POV)

"Some of you know of this already, and I am glad to announce that I have a Pair." The whole mervillage had joined to hear Dane's announcement. Everyone knew he felt differently about Humans, but no one knew the reason, except for some. "There is something that no one knows yet. I am engaged to my Pair. And she is with us here today." My mouth fell open as Lyla herself swam out from behind the curtains on the balcony from which Dane was addressing us. "The coronation will be in two weeks three days after our wedding."

He wrapped his hand around Lyla's and a cheer arose from the crowd with my yell probably being the loudest. I locked eyes with Lyla and she gave me a sad look. I made a gesture that asked if we could talk after. She nodded yes.

***

"Scarlett will you ever be able to forgive me?" Lyla asked once we entered her room. I answered her question by giving her a hug.

"Already have hun."

"Thank you," she said hugging me back.

"On one condition," I said pulling away from the hug.

"Anything."

"I get to help you get ready for your big day." She laughed.

"I wouldn't want anyone else to do it." We hugged again.

***

*two weeks later*

"How do women do this?" I said as took off my 'heels' as Humans called them. I prefer the term death trap. I almost fell and broke my neck three times in the past thirty minutes alone.

"You're doing pretty well for your first time."

"Are you kidding?! I almost died back there, there, and there!" I screamed pointing to where I had tripped. "Watch, while I'm walking down the aisle I will trip, fall on my butt, and ruin your whole wedding."

Lyla and Dane had decided to have their wedding on land since Dane's family could easily come on land and turn into Humans whereas Lyla's friends, not so much with the whole underwater thing. Plus, Lyla wanted Mimi to be her maid of honor. I met her and seemed sweet.

"Don't dramatize it Scarlett. If you fall I will stop the wedding to go help you up."

"I love how that just screams embarrassment."

"Fine, then, if you fall I will pretend nothing happened and ignore you. Sound good?"

"Perfect," I replied laughing. "Now hold still while I do your hair and makeup."

"Okay. And for the record for a person who's never worn, seen, or heard of makeup, you have done pretty well with mine."

"Thank you. It's fun and actually pretty easy. There's just a couple basic things to know and your face was created for making makeup look good, not the other way around."

"Aw, thanks. You know there's such a thing as waterproof makeup."

"Soon-to-be-bride say what?" I said stopping what I was doing.

"Yeah, I bought you some since you were so fascinated by mine the other day."

"Oh my gosh thank you thank you thank you!" I squealed hugging her.