Chapter 13: Never Give Up

(Declan's POV)

After the guard smacked Scarlett off all I wanted to do was rip his tail off with my bare hands. But, seeing as I was tied, beaten up, and chained to the stinking chariot, I was immobile. That didn't stop me from saying anything though.

"You heartless bastard! Have you never been in love? I feel horrible for whoever is going to be your wife. Oh, wait, that won't happen. Like I already said, you're heartless." That was probably not the best thing to say. He took his spear and hit me with its shaft upside the head really hard. I slumped to the bottom of the chariot and heard him say a few words.

"Keep your mouth shut lover boy." I blacked out.

(Scarlett's POV)

"Let me go! Let me out! I have to go for him! He's waiting! He needs help! Get your hands off me!"

After I had finished crying I went to my dad's side who had groggily woken up and was asking what he missed. I slowly swam into the house and numbly registered everything that had just happened. I didn't even notice Anita sit me down and start to make some food. My dad held a hand to his head where there was a bump. Then I realized something. I had given up. I had already lost hope for Declan before hope could even begin to build. That's when my screaming started.

"Scarlett just listen to me! Calm yourself!" my dad said holding me back.

"Honey take deep breaths and just collect your thoughts," Mom soothed.

"There's nothing to think about! There's nothing to be calm about! I need to go to Declan!" Just as I wriggled out of my dad's arms, Sirena came through the door. I immediately began shooting daggers at her as her gaze fell upon me. What a perfect day to show up on. No one had seen her since I kicked her out of the hospital. "You again," I said, venom lacing my words. I didn't think as I swam straight up to her and slapped her across the face. "How could you do this?! Why Sirena?!" I screamed hysterically.

"IT WASN'T ME!" she interrupted.

"Wh-... what?" I asked taken aback.

"I had nothing to do with this! I came as soon as I heard! I'm here to help." I looked at her quizzically.

"Why should I trust you?" She looked at the ground before looking back up at me.

"Because I'm your only chance. I need to make up for what I did."

"Let's get one thing straight. You can never make up for what happened. I can forgive, but you can't make up for almost killing me. And I haven't forgiven you yet."

"I don't expect you too," she said. I looked at her and studied her hard before I convinced myself she was telling the truth.

"Okay. What's the plan?"

(Declan's POV)

*two days later*

"Hey lover boy! Here's your food. Eat up," the guard said sliding a plate of... something under the door. It's the same guard who hit Scarlett off the chariot. 'Lover Boy' had become his nickname for me.

I grabbed the plate and brought it closer to me taking a whiff. I felt my stomach rise to my throat. There was no way I was eating that.

"Aw, come on. You don't want to be skinny for your girl do you?" he said in a mocking voice. I remained sulked in a far corner of my cell.

I'd learned my lesson not to talk back or make snide comments about the guards after my third beating. I hoped Scarlett would still recognize me under all my cuts and bruises. Just the thought of her and her infectious smile gave me the smallest flicker of hope. I slid the plate back to the guard and turned my back to him.