Chapter 9: Fear

(Scarlett's POV)

The water swirled around me throwing me this way and that. I had my tail so I had no problem breathing underwater but I was getting dizzy and the rocks were getting harder to avoid.

Try as I might, I could not get my head out of the water to make sure Declan hasn't stormed in after me.

The current kept on pulling me down and farther away from the island. With the last of my strength, I managed to make my tail burst out the water for a split second before being pulled down again. I only hoped that was enough to convince him I was okay and that Declan saw it.

Then it hit me. He said he loved me.

(Declan's POV)

Fate must hate me because of all the possible times for her to be taken by a wave was then. I'm not saying I ever hoped for her to be taken by a wave.

I started running like a madman while screaming her name. Just as I was about to dive into the water and most likely kill myself, I saw her golden tail emerge from the water.

It was enough. I knew she was safe and on her way home.

The storm was now worse than before, if that was even possible. The howling winds and saltwater spraying my face drove me back into the safety of the burrow.

Stay safe too, Scarlett.

(Scarlett's POV)

I swam as fast as I could back home. Even this deep in water I was being thrown around by the currents. This Hurricane might break the scale.

I was beyond scared. I was terrified about how my parents would react. I was worried for Declan. I was panicking about who saw us.

Just as my arms and tail couldn't take it anymore, I reached my home. I wasn't surprised to see my dad clutching to the side of our house waiting for me. The currents are that strong now.

"Daddy I'm here! I'm so sorry I-" my dad grabbed me and made a beeline for our house where my mom was waiting.

"Oh Scarlett I was so worried-"

"Get underground NOW! MOVE, MOVE!" Dad yelled. He grabbed both mine and Mom's hand and dragged us to our trap door and threw us in the section below our house.

He came in after and shut the door. He turned to face us and body slammed into us both. I instinctively leaned into him as he held me and my mom.

We were now pinned between the wall and my dad in the farthest corner possible from the door. We waited.

"Dad, I'm scared," I finally said.

"We're getting through. This might be the biggest Hurricane to ever hit us but we're safe as long as we're under here. I can't imagine how horrible it must be for those on land. It serves those murderous Humans right for what it's worth."

I whimpered and began softly crying. My dad must have thought it was fear because he began to rub my back and caress my mom's hair.

In a way he was right, but it wasn't fearing for us. I was filled with fear for Declan.

(Declan's POV)

I'll admit it. I was scared. More scared than I've ever been in my life. I didn't tell Scarlett but, I had a fear of Hurricanes.

I'd only been in one once, but that was enough. That Hurricane killed my mother and almost drowned me.

I felt the need to cry at that memory but I stubbornly shook the feeling off. I was only eleven.