Chapter 2

Hi everyone! Here's chapter 2. So hope you enjoy!

"I'm sorry for just turning up out of the blue like this. I live just a little further down the street and I'm good friends with the owner, Mrs Peairs. She's spoken about you girls quite a lot about how well mannered and helpful you are. I've actually been meaning to come by and say hello and offer you some of my home made cookies but, it's seems you are not at home quite a lot. Do you live by your selves or...?" The woman now gazing intrigued around the cramped living room of our flat seemed pleasant enough her bright smile and poorly concealed snooping, reminding me to keep up my guard. Despite this she seemed harmless enough and emitted a very comfortable motherly aura along with the scent of freshly baked goods, setting my mind some what at ease.

After meeting Mary, as she introduced herself as at the door and after generously offering to help us with taking the grocery bags inside, I sent Lily off to pack away the groceries while I saw to our guest.

"Yes quite often, as my parents are on business out of town, but thank you for the cookies. Would you like a drink or...?" I trailed off, the well rehearsed lies flowing smoothly and effortlessly past my lips.

"Oh no I wouldn't want to trouble you." Mary brushed my offer off. "That's unfortunate, I will have to come by later once they are back in town to meet them. Do they go away often for long periods of time?"

"Yes well, that's just how it seems to have worked out for them."

"Yes, that is unfortunate. What is it they do by the way?" Mary inquired as she continued to walk about the room as though inspecting it.

"A lot of different things actual... you know stuff that requires them to travel a lot... for long periods of time." Geez, this lady sure was nosy.

Nodding as though considering my vague statement in depth, Mary turned around again to me, giving me a long hard look over, "How old are by the way dear? You seem a little young to be looking after your sister and yourself while your parents are away."

Forcing an uncomfortable laugh and an uneasy smile to my face I responded, "Almost seventeen actually and I thank you but despite appearances I am quite capable of looking after my younger sister."

"I'm sorry, it wasn't my place to comment." She quickly backtracked.

"No problem. Well, unfortunately I still have a few things I must attend to, so I must thank you for your help with the groceries and of course for your home made cookies and wish a lovely day." I tried to motion Mary towards the door.

"No of course, I'm sorry, I do tend to prattle on now and again, please excuse me and enjoy the cookies my dear." But just as she was about to head out the door she paused for a moment, before she turned back to me with renewed purpose. "Are yes before I leave, I was wondering if you will be attending Redwood in the fall. You see my daughter goes there and is about the same age as you and so should be in the same grade as you this semester, so if you would like she could help you to settle in and get everything organised before school comes back in a few weeks. What do you think?"

Taken completely off guard, all I could do was gape at her in shock, the idea of school sent my mind reeling. "Uh... um... I don't- I mean it's not-"

"Sounds lovely dear! I shall tell her to come around some time tomorrow. Does the afternoon suite you ok?" Unable to form a coherent response Mary took my silence as agreement. "Perfect! Well I except I shall see you around then dear. Don't be strangers now! Ta ta!"

"Ta ta," I found myself mimicking, "wait what?" I repeated to myself, "what just happened?" Turning around, my mind still processing the past couple of minuets, I threw myself down on the sofa, my arm flung across my eyes as I let out a long exaggerated sigh.