Chapter 7

“Sometimes you just have to let go and let people in your lives’ because without them we would be nothing. Trust them, they might make you feel better, letting it out might make you feel better. But life can also bite you back on the bum; life can come out not what you expected. Life is unfair so deal with it.”-Camilla Falkowski

It was already past 5:00pm when we headed towards my dad’s favourite place in the golf course. It was the sixth hole and the sunset was gorgeous, reflecting off the lake. We parked the buggy in a position that was easy to lean back on while sitting on the grass and watching the sunset. It was so peaceful, with kangaroos lying down lazily while some just ate grass; a wooden bridge crossed the lake with swans swimming underneath silently and birds flying above us.

We were silent as he fiddled with the grass and I played with my necklace, twisting it constantly between my fingertips. I decided to break the silence.

“Okay I have to admit, you are quite a good driver,” I admitted squinting at the sun with a smirk playing at the edges of my lips. I didn’t want to give him any satisfaction, so I avoided his eyes.

“Ahuh!” he shouted in victory, “I knew it!” he smiled cheekily.

“So how do you like it here?” I asked calmly.

“Its magnificent,” he sighed, “I only wish I could stay here forever.”

“When do you leave?” I asked curious.

“Soon, I’m heading over to Brisbane soon,” he said.

“Lucky,” I mumbled. “Did you enjoy my tour?”

“It was perfect,” he smiled.

We became silent, enjoying each other’s company. I snuck a peek at his face, it was in a pout and he was subconsciously playing with the grass with a cute concentrating face. As annoying as he was, I discovered that he was quite fun. He made me forget my problems. I was quite shocked at how well we actually clicked, there were times we would get on our nerves but I was hoping there was another side to him. I wondered if this would be a friendship or not. But I think it be best to not get him involved with my life so I hoped today again it wasn’t fate but just a simple encounter. I watched his jaw tense letting the sun’s rays shine his tanned skin. I absorbed his beautiful muscles and his strong neck; I watched his veins show through his thin layer of skin and his chest slowly rise up and down through every breath. My jumper was bunched up halfway, I let my wrists to be turned over, exposed to the sun as I also began to pick out grass. I carefully watched my bruises. They were faded, but still visible to the naked eye. There were purple, blue, and even yellow. It was only weeks ago. I sighed. I looked up to see Liam quietly watching my arms too. He looked up at me again. I wish I could see his eyes.

“I just have so many questions,” he whispered.

“With what?” I whispered back with curiosity. I haven’t seen this side of Liam yet and it was fascinating.

“Everything, you’re so...mysterious,” he said.

I stayed silent. I didn’t mind if he saw my arms so exposed, I felt okay...I actually felt stable. It was an odd feeling. I still didn’t even feel comfortable showing my wrists so freely to my friends even if they know about it. His tanned fingers reached out to my arms, I watched him curiously, I stayed as still as possible. He brushed below the bunched up jumper down carefully to my wrists, past my palm and to my finger tips. Goosebumps were formed. He lifted my hand delicately and studied it; he trailed his fingers over the many, many bruises.

“Why,” he whispered.

My breath caught in my throat. I didn’t know how to respond, how could I? I think I can speak for many girls when I say I don’t know. It’s hard to explain if you’ve ever been in this situation. You’re depressed, your lost, you feel like your trapped. It feels like there is nothing more to life, you just hate it you hate everything because everything is going wrong. You hate yourself and that’s it. It feels better to feel that pain than the one you’re feeling inside.