Chapter 24

“Never live life in fear of death.”

Beep, _______ beep _______beep_____.

My eyes fluttered open, letting it adjust to the dull colours that surround me. I tried to locate my alarm so I could shut it off. My eyes first lied upon a bland wall and then some bluish green curtains that created an excluded area. There was a door that was open half way, letting streams of dim light travel through. I looked down to the source of a sharp object that was injected into my skin. A pulse monitor was on my left, along with an IV drip on my other side. I frowned slightly at my state; I tried to lift myself up but only winced in response. I finally realised my arms were wrapped in bandages and I had a thin blanket covering me. I looked down to see that I was wearing a light green robe of some sort, it wasn’t very comfortable. My head circled in panic. What happened to me? What in the hell was I doing here? My brain searched for answers, but nothing. I looked to the side to see two empty chairs then a big wide window that overlooked the brightly lit city at night. Then right next to me sitting on a chair as close as he possibly could was a peaceful Liam sleeping. His cheek was pressed on teh edge of my bed. My whole body relaxed at his presence and my heart quickened. His face turned into something beautiful; a face that was stress free. He looked like a baby, a child that had no more worries. I wondered what troubled him so much when he was awake, that this face etched on him right now couldn’t be shown at day. But right now, at this very moment, nothing else mattered, but him, I didn’t care where I was, or what happened or how I got here, I was next to him. I sighed happily. The thought of him belonging to me was still a foreign thought.  I lifted my hand slowly towards his head and my fingers lightly touched the top  strands of his hair. I then let my hand run through his soft hair. His shoulders relaxed even more at my touch. I let out a sigh of happiness. He then grunted softly and quickly sat up fumbling with his sunglasses.

“Anne?” he grunted.

“Hi,’ I whispered at his hoarse voice. That strained face of his appeared once again. Where did all this stress come from? Where did that innocent baby face go?

He straightened his back and tried to shift closer to me, “Your okay,” he sighed in relief while squeezing my hand gently. 

“I think?” I said.

He looked at me with sudden concern as his lips formed a thin line. “You don’t remember?” He slowly asked.

“No? What am I doing here?” I tried to sit up but something tugged at my nose, I frowned reaching up to the object, “what in the hell is this?” I asked about to pull it out.

“Ah!” Liam grabbed my hand, “don’t touch that you need it,” he suppressed a smile.

“I don’t like it,” I complained.

“Deal with it,” he retorted with a small smile, “you stubborn child, you need to be fussed over.”

“I don’t like being fussed over,” I pouted.

“I know.” He smirked. As he got up I scooted over so I could make room for him, he thumped down next to me, sighing heavily. He wrapped an arm around me as I leant my head against his hard chest, letting his familiar scent comfort me. I felt him press his lips at the top of my head gently as I closed my eyes.

He sighed again, “I’m so glad your okay,” his voice strained.

“Liam what happened?” I whispered.

“You- err,” he tried to clear his throat and sat up a little straighter. I looked up at him with curiosity, “we went to the club remember?”

I frowned and shook my head.

He sighed, “Well do you know anyone of the name Jacob?”

And that was when a gasp of horror erupted through my lips. Memories finally flashed and flooded in before my eyes. I finally realised Liam was dressed with more class than he should be to just go to the hospital.

“Who is he Anne? I need to know now,” Liam said with pain thickening his tone. My heart stopped with pain, he was hurt and I knew there was no lie or no excuse I could say now. He saw it, he saw everything and I think it was time to finally let it all go.

I sighed, “Well it started in the middle of year ten.”