I blush as my mom says, "I would be a better queen that she would ever be."

"You're never going to be queen so I guess we will never know." The queen says triumphantly.

My mother frowns, realizing the truth in the queen's words. Then her face brightens and she says, "Well, I could always marry Thomas."

Thomas enters the exact same moment she says that and angrily says, "You will do no such thing."

Everyone turns to look at him and my mother snarks back, "It's not like you have a say in who you marry. If you did I doubt you would be engaged to Ava."

Thomas frowns and says, "Would you actually marry me?"

My mother frowns in defeat and says, "Well, no. You're too young for me."

"That's settled then. You'll never to be queen." The queen says with a smirk.

"Whatever," is my mother's lame comeback.

Thomas' eyes bore into mine and he says, "I'm going up to my room."

I gulp loudly. He looks really mad right now, so I just nod.

The king, however, asks, "Aren't you hungry son?"

Thomas, still glaring at me with his cold, blue eyes, replies, "I'm not hungry right now."

Oh, God. What exactly is happening right now?

The king nods and Thomas, giving me one more glare, leaves.

What did I do? I wonder, feeling worry pool in my gut like lead.

The queen clears her throat and says, "Ava, you will be starting some lessons, with Thomas, to learn how to be great monarchs."

My mother snorts at this earning a glare from the queen.

"Yes ma'am," I say.

The queen smiles and me and says, "I like you, and please call me Bridget."

"Yes, Bridget," I reply, blushing brightly at the familiar use of the queen's first name. My mother glares at me.

The queen smiles, and says, "So, Ava, what do you think of Thomas?Isn't he quite handsome?"

I choke on my water and stutter out, "H-he's alright."

The queen's eyes twinkle and she says, "Just alright?"

I can't help laughing and say, "I really don't know him that well, but he seems like a nice man."

The queen smirks, "Alright then."

I give her a smile and try to ignore my mother's death stare.

After I'm done eating breakfast, I go up to Thomas room to read to finish reading my book. I stop just outside the door when I hear a voice and I realize it's Thomas, talking to someone on the phone.

"What the fuck you think I care? Get your shit together and get me the damn zethel." Thomas says.

I try to hold in a gasp. Zethel is a dangerous and illegal drug, it's used to torture someone until they spit out the truth. Those who attempt to resist the drug and its effects usually end up dead.

I know I'm not supposed to hear this, but I keep listening.

"What the hell do you mean you're running low on it? You think I give a fuck? Because I don't. If you don't get to the prison by tomorrow night...." Thomas cuts himself off. "I'm the crown prince, you don't know the type of destruction I can cause if I'm displeased. Bring me the damn zethel. Are we clear?" Thomas says angrily.

He's threatening them, I realize. What happened to the good guy from last night? Does he even exist?

I press my ears closer to the door I hear Thomas say "Good. Bye, you ass."

Oh shit. I need to get out of here before he catches me. I sprint down the stairs and bump into the queen who looks shocked and says, "Ava, are you alright? You look like you have seen a ghost."

"Uh, yes," I say not sure whether to tell the queen what I heard or not.

I quickly decide not to until I figure out what's actually happening.

"Uh, do you know somewhere I can go to - uh - think?" I say in a rush, needing to get away from Thomas.

The queen frowns and says, "Yes, the garden. Take a right and go down the stairs."

"Thank you," I say and sprint down to the garden.

Wow its beautiful. I look around and go to a dark corner and plop down on a bench to think about what just happened.

Author's note
Wow wasn't that intense, the fight and Thomas what us he up to.

Make sure to let me now your thoughts on this.

Click the star and the corner and make me smile and comment and follow thank you.

Xoxo until the next chapter
Have a great day