Chapter 26

Demi

It was severe how much I worried that something was going to happen to this baby, I was carrying. I tried to let Nick know, but I don't think he knew how bad it was. Him worrying, too, only added to my anxiety, so I hoped he would let up. I was so scared that I was going to miscarry in the first four months, that I didn't want to do anything that I thought could harm the baby. I stayed out of hot tubs & things like that. I tried to eat right & only did yoga as exercise. And, sadly, I was afraid to have sex. Nick & I hadn't made love since I found out I was pregnant & at this point, it had been about 7 weeks. Nick hadn't even tried to initiate anything, probably because he knew I had reservations & because we were so exhausted after being on set all day.

About halfway through filming the movie, Nick & I had an amazing weekend planned with the kids, since we were off. It was nice having the weekends off for the most part. There was one Sunday we had to work because of the location. It was only available to use on a Sunday, but other than that we were off on weekends, so we could enjoy some family time. Nick wasn't working on anything else, either, which was even nicer.

On Saturday, March 18, we were taking the kids to a movie, then grabbing lunch to take to Runyon Canyon park for a picnic. After lunch, we'd work it off by hiking. We loved keeping the kids active. They enjoyed it, thankfully & never complained. Sunday, Nick was taking Jerry to hang out with his brothers, who were all in L.A. & his dad, so I was taking Mercy to hang out with my mom & sisters. It was nice to have girl time & Nick & I both thought the twins needed time away from each other. It was definitely good for them to be around other people, without each other. We didn't want them relying on each other too much.

Mercy & I got home before Nick did, so we decided to make dinner. We were making the twins favorite, homemade pizza. As we were putting the toppings on the pizza, Nick came in the kitchen, walking right up to me to put his arms around my waist. "I fell in love with the pizza girl...." He sang, making me & Mercy both laugh out loud.

"You're silly, daddy." Mercy grinned at him as her little head shook. Her & Jerry both started watching old episodes of Jonas & Jonas L.A. recently, so she knew exactly what Nick was singing. It was hilarious watching the twins watch the shows. They thought it was the coolest thing to see their dad & uncles on tv. Soon, we'd introduce them to Sonny with a Chance & Camp Rock, but right now, we had them hooked on Jonas.

"Smells good, ladies." Nick said, kissing my cheek. He went to Mercy & kissed the top of her head. Jerry came strolling in, his forefingers in his pockets. It was a weird way to have your hands in your pockets, but my kids are weird, like me. "We are lucky guys, Jerry. Our girls are making us dinner since we had a long day. Isn't that nice of them?"

Jerry stood on a stool next to me & put his small arm around me then leaned his head on my side. "You're the best mommy." He said, looking up at me with Nick's eyes, melting my heart.

"Thank you for noticing, my handsome guy." I smiled down at him. I looked over at Nick who was helping Mercy put cheese on the pizza. Jerry's little hand came up, holding it out so he could help & I smiled as I put a few pieces of tomato in it. I watched as he put the tomato on the pizza. "Great job, baby. Did you have fun with your papa & uncles today?" I asked. Jerry nodded, concentrating hard on the placement of the tomatoes. Sometimes his personality had flashes of Nick, like when he was playing music or doing a task. I would see the same intensity in his expression as I'd seen often on Nick's face, over the years. It made me smile, because I knew he'd be successful in whatever he did in life, because he had that seriousness about him when it came to doing something he enjoyed. He loved cooking, too, which he must have got from his Uncle Joe, because Nick & I certainly did not love it. We did it because it was necessary as parents. "What did you do today, Jerry?" I played with Jerry's wavy locks when I asked. I was so glad his hair was like Nick's, same texture & the same waves Nick had at that age.