Chapter 7

Nick

I was grateful that Olivia was on the mend & that she was getting her life back together. As time went on, she did recover some of her memories & like a blessing in disguise, she didn't remember having doubts about her marriage to Wilmer, so they were heading back from their tragedy. Olivia's memories were still sketchy from the last few years, but she at least remembered loving Wilmer & that was the part I cared about.

Our friend from Greece, Candace, called us in early May & said Ally wanted to come to the states to finish school & maybe work on some music. We offered our place in L.A. for her to stay in. We were in Texas more often these days anyway, since nothing was taking us to L.A. at the moment. Joe was in L.A., so he helped Ally get settled in. She was taking summer classes online & was planning on taking some actual classes, at UCLA, in the fall. She was also working on writing songs for an album. I had plans to work on her album at some point, or Paul would do it. Paul & I had several young new artists on our recording & producing roster for the studio in L.A. I even had a few songwriters here in Texas who I was going to start working during my down time. I was trying to work them into my schedule as best as I could.

Demi worked with Paul or I to complete her album & it was set to drop on June 15. She was busy planning a U.S. tour that would start in July, just after the holiday. She asked me to design her tour & I was happy to do so. We worked together round the clock to design a tour that fit this album. It kept us pretty busy, but we made time for our family. Me & the kids were planning on going on the tour with her, so I was looking forward to that. As Demi & I prepared for her tour, she got an idea to bring Ally on tour with us as the twins nanny. Since she was taking classes online, she could take them from anywhere. I thought it was a great idea & we were thrilled when Ally agreed & seemed excited about going on the road with us.

In early June, Demi & I took several days to go to New York for the Tony Awards & for Demi to promote her album. Our moms were staying with the twins, so we could enjoy some alone time. I ended up winning the Tony, which put me one award closer to being an EGOT winner. All I needed, now, was the Emmy. New York, with Demi, was amazing. We needed this time to ourselves. We saw old friends & walked the city, spent time with Kevin & Dani & our nieces & nephew as well as visited our tree in Central Park. When people knew we were in the city, our tree became a tourist attraction, so we encountered a huge crowd when we got there. It was fun, though & it was nice to know we still had fans after all the crap we had dealt with over the last year.

Demi had to fly to L.A. for promotions after our trip to New York, so I went back to Texas without her. I was going to be with the kids for three days alone, since our moms were both traveling to visit their other children. I was going to enjoy some alone time with them, just the three of us. This didn't happen often. It always seemed someone else was around at some point.

The twins were excited to see me when I got back from New York, but they asked, for over an hour, where Mommy was. After the grandma's left, I got the twins ready for bed & then I decided to let them sleep in my bed as a special treat. They brought their books & we read them all. Not sure if it was because of the excitement of sleeping in Daddy's bed, but they weren't tired after we finished the books.

"Ditar, daddy." Jerry said, bouncing on the bed. He wanted me to play my guitar & I felt my heart swell with pride. I grabbed the one that was in the corner of my room & sat with it on my lap. I started playing & they both watched me, intensely. I started singing "A Little Bit Longer," and they sang along. I had been playing it for them since they were born, or singing it. Mercy & I sang it a lot, because she knew the song was about my diabetes. Listening to her tiny voice sing along always warmed my heart.