Chapter Four - Envy Isn't Pretty. (Unless It's On You.)

*I AM A HORRIBLE HUMAN BEING WOW SORRY SO SORRY.*

Pete's Point of View. 

My paper lands with an edge down in front of me and I focus on the big red F on the corner of the page and a note underneath asking me to see him after class. I groan at the simple fact that it's the third time this week.

My grades are suffering and it's no mystery as to why that is. Patrick 'Perfection' Stump. It's not as if I have a crush on him or anything; More that I actually find a boy, let alone one of my best friends, attractive. 

Brendon lets me know he'll wait for me and stands outside the door, probably listening in if I had to guess. I appreciate it either way, the shame of walking back through my classmates alone is worse than with Brendon, who'd probably punch anyone who gives me as much as a glance.

"Alright Pete, we really need to talk about your grades." He begins, sitting down at his desk and flicking through a file filled with my grades. "Needless to say, your grades have never been fantastic." He points at my C in Geography from last semester. This is History, yet here he is pointing out my grade from a whole other subject. 

"However, I think you have potential. You always do fantastically in subjects you have an interest in it seems. Here you are getting A's in Music, P.E and English Lit and C's and D's in... just about everything else." He gives me a sympathetic look. "Now, here's the problem," He taps the table and looks out the door to Brendon.

"If your grades don't pick up I'm afraid the coach cannot keep you on the football team." I groan loudly and bury my face in my hands. "You're serious?" 

"I am sorry, Mr Wentz." He looks it too. "Now, I suggest you study hard for the exams this semester before your big exams come around. Because if you haven't picked up your grades by then, you'll be off the team for certain." 

* * * * *

I stomp back to my room, Brendon following unsure yet quickly behind me. He keeps trying to make an attempt at talking, I'm not letting it work. We get to my door and he lingers. "It's not so bad-"

"Goodnight Brendon." I open the door and close it. It's dark in the room, except for the small glimpse of light the lamp beside the desk gives off. Patrick's standing in front of the mirror on our shelf. 

He tugs at his unbuttoned shirt. He rolls up the sleeves. Frown. Sleeves rolled down. Frown. He does this a few times until he moves to his hair. Running his fingers through it carefully, then he sighs. 

"Patrick..." My voice calls out, I shift into the light and Patrick jumps slightly. "Pete, fuck you scared me." I eye his outfit. Plaid shirt, skinny jeans, beanie, skate shoes. Trying hard, maybe a little too hard, to seem as if he hasn't tried at all. 

"Where are you going?" I ask quietly. I already know the answer. Patrick goes red and smiles. "I've got a date." I feel my heart sink at the confirmation. "A.. a date?" He nods timidly, looking oh-so-pleased with himself. "With who?" 

"You remember Elisa, yeah?" My mouth forms a thin line and I nod reluctantly. I had my doubts about her, I knew there was something up. He smiles, oblivious to my new-found hate for Elisa Yao. His date. His girlfriend. 

And from that moment onward, I make it my duty to fuck 'em up. 

* * * * *

Brendon's the first to find out. 

It's about an hour after Patrick's left with the newest love of his life. A few of us sit in the common room, the rest of the school either studying or getting drunk in a bar somewhere.

Joe and Andy are laying with their feet on the coffee table, laughing at each other's dumb jokes. Jon's leaning against Spencer, curled up on the sofa while they chat about meaningless things. Ryan's reading, or trying to anyway. Brendon's made it quite hard on him, as he's wriggling about on the chair they're sharing every few seconds and coming up with obscene theories about the universe and life and love. 

I'm sitting in the corner, close to them all but I may as well be in a completely separate room as far as they're all concerned. Usually Patrick and I would be doing something together, but he's off with the wife. 

People try to make conversation with me every once in awhile. I push them away with snarky comebacks and sarcastic comments. I don't need anyone right now. Brendon notices soon after and he jumps up from Ryan's lap where he was so eloquently resting, much to Ryan's dismay, and pulls me away from everyone else. 

He doesn't speak at first, only tapping his foot and looking at me patronizingly. After I stay silent, he comes out with it. "Why exactly are you being a little bitch tonight?" 

"Tonight?" I ask sarcastically, "I'd like to think I'm a little bitch every night of the week." Brendon shakes his head, not amused by my comment. I found it funny at least. "Hurry up and tell me what's bothering you." 

I don't say anything so Brendon takes it up a level, looking around the room and thinking pretty hard about what it could be. "Patrick's not with you. Where is he?" I shrug, pretending not to seem bothered. "Did you fight?" I shake my head. "Then where is he?" 

"Off with Elisa." Brendon looks confused for a second before I add, "On a date." And then I can nearly see it clicking inside his head. "The bitchiness, the isolation, the fights, the staring. You like him!" I shrug again, a light blush appearing above my jawline. "A little." 

Brendon raises his eyebrow and smirks. "It all makes so much sense." He laughs lightly, peering over his shoulder. "I bet you're crazy jealous too!" At that, I assure him I am not. "I don't care if Patrick wants to frolic with his perfect new girlfriend." 

"You do too! You're basically seething with jealousy." I sigh and hide my face with my hand, before coming to a conclusion, "Actually, maybe I am kinda jealous." Brendon nods in triumph. "Actually, maybe I kinda tried to screw him over before he left." I admit and he sighs, "Didn't work huh?" I shake my head sadly. "Not at all." 

"Well," Brendon begins, "I may just be able to help with that." I scoff, "What experience do you have with this kind of stuff?" He signals over his shoulder and I look at the dork with his nose in a book. He looks up and seems confused, Brendon and I look away quickly and laugh. "Really Brendon?"

"It was ages ago!" He says, holding his hands up in defense. I raise my eyebrows knowingly. He scratches the back of his neck, "Well- actually-" Brendon juts out his lip,"Shut up." I laugh and we head back to join the rest of the group.

*oh look at all those little 'friend' pairings aren't they so cute. im sorry i couldn't resist. On another note; SHIT I AM SORRY AGAIN. And on another, another note, I have an account on AO3 (archiveofourown.com) now... it's called 'TheViceToMyVirtue' where I have started another (non-peterick) story that I said I'd do here but I am not doing here.. so... yeah go check that out. I post whatever I feel like posting there and someday (when I finish a few more stories) I think I might start posting there instead of here. But in the meantime, all my exams are done, the fun school month is starting and I have time to spare! Well don't hold me to that... If you read all of this AN then kudos to you and tyvm for reading all my stupid thoughts I like to put down in words.*