01. Introduction

Some people say that they love to wake up at the crack of dawn. Others say that they'd rather sleep in. However, opinions and personal matters aside, not everyone has a choice.

As the sun rises up in the morning, with the cold, chilly autumn air loitering outdoors, not all of us would be quick to leave our houses. Sleeping in may be unhealthy, but it feels so good, and all of us would happily succumb to that temptation if we only had the chance.

Some have weekends, holidays, or vacations - others simply take the day off. But much like the other shopkeepers on the Main Street, Pete Pelio was wary of demands and competition, and although he may have lacked skill in many other things, one thing he never failed to do was to get to work on time.

It was a timeless occasion - a sight that had been commonly seen for years - a young, sturdy pelican, flying through the sky or walking through the town with a sack of mail, dutifully delivering letters to each and every one of the animal residents.

Of course, he often made mistakes; packages and letters would end up at the wrong houses, or in the wrong, unsuspecting hands. However, this had never truly been viewed negatively - it gave the town's social, energized neighbors the opportunity to interact even more, and although it had started drama many times in the past, no one looked down on the mail carrier.

Plus, any mistakes were never truly his fault - it's not his problem that most of the town's citizens just happened to lack opposable thumbs.

Well, to be fair ... it was just that Pete's reputation had grown throughout the years. When he first began delivering mail, he did not hear much on the job besides "HEY! Where's my package?!" or "Here, deliver this."

He deserved all the praise he received now, however; everyone had grown attached to the slightly clueless, somewhat dopey mail carrier. Without him, who else would be distributing postage in the town?

However, like many great things, this was in no way a one-man job - and all the work beyond that, in the post office itself, could be credited to two sisters: Pelly and Phyllis Perimi.

If someone were to ask a resident of that town to describe either one of the two, they would just crack a knowing smile and wonder where to begin.

The shining, sweet aura of the post office's daytime clerk, Pelly, was absolutely unmistakable. Always smiling, always cheerful, always ready to help someone out - she was impossible for anyone to dislike.

She loved her job no matter what it was, showing up to work with bright, shining eyes, rosy cheeks and a big, wholesome smile. She was like the town's happy little sister - never failing to cheer someone up.

Just from asking what mail someone wanted delivered, she gave off a sparkling, joyful energy, making a regular task feel like a special event. Loved by everyone, Pelly truly had a spot in everyone's hearts.

However, just as unmistakably as Pelly was remembered by all, the same could have been said about her older sister.

Phyllis was ... well, quite frankly, she was her total opposite, which is why it made sense that she was the one who worked the post office's nights.

She really was nothing like Pelly - sitting at her desk at night, drinking coffee whenever she got the chance and fixing her signature dramatic makeup in her pocket mirror, she would definitely never be seen chirping out inspirational quotes or giving someone a big, cheerful smile.

Her personality was so off-putting to some that residents would even occasionally be scared to send mail at night, consciously deciding to wait until daytime so they could interact with Pelly instead.