Chapter 1 - Welcome to the Glasshouse

Start from the beginning

"I am supposed to start my work here today but I don't even know where my office is or what I am supposed to do, I haven't really met the boss-"

"You must be Jessica?" He reached out his hand for me to shake and I did it without hesitating. He didn't say his name but I didn't ask either. Looking at his clothes, he seemed like an important person that knew his business. He was wearing a black suit with a white dotted shirt underneath and a similar tie. I did my best to not stare too harshly as I realised this man was extremely great looking, "I can show you around if you want me to?"

"Yes, I'd love that!"

My mood changed instantly and following him around the building, hearing him talk about the history of the business to how this glasshouse came to be, made me way more excited about starting to work here than I thought. I had never thought that a history of a building would ever get me excited over something but the way he approached me about the subject, keeping eye contact with me and talking with formal words and phrases, had me starstruck. By the end of the tour, I wished that the already large building was even bigger so that the tour wouldn't have come to an end.

"Your office is on the fifth floor," He said and pointed at the elevators. I nodded and thought that he was going to leave me like that, probably knowing the effect he had on me already. I tried to keep my cool and not show it too much but throughout the tour, I had been slightly clumsy and probably stared way too much to be discreet. Plus, I saw the smirk on his face. The bastard knew. "You want me to follow you there?"

I nodded eagerly.

We had already been on the fifth floor and I knew that his office was placed there too. He had shown me it. It was bigger than what I had expected any office in this building to be, even though the glasshouse in itself was like a full-on mansion, but he seemed to be highly put in this business so I didn't question anything. No part of me wanted to look like a fool (well, more than I already did, of course).

Once we reached the floor, he told me to follow him to his office to grab some stuff before we could continue to mine. The hallway was long and if you looked forward from where you were standing, it was slightly bent too. The building in itself was like a banana shape and the first time I saw it, I laughed at the shape. Today, it's probably the coolest thing to be able to say that I worked inside of it.

I don't really know what changed. Maybe the fact that Exhibit Laws had a few of the most famous law attorneys in the U.S. I was thrilled, excited and honoured to be part of this business name.

When they called to tell me I got the job and that I could start immediately, I screamed at the little coffee shop I had previously worked in. It was a big step for me to finally put my law school grades to use and to be able to follow the biggest dream of mine, to become a leading lawyer of my own. I was finally able to work with what I've always wanted and stepping in these hallways were no longer making me shaky, I already felt at home.

"So, what's your type?" The guy who had yet to tell me his name (but did shake his hand with me which had me very confused?) asked and it took me a minute before I realised his question. He wanted to know what my subject within this business was going to be.

"Sexual harassments, workplace safety, privacy rights and discrimination against employees," My smile was wide and I was talking with such pride. He didn't look confused, he knew exactly what I meant but somehow my mouth ended up explaining it to him even more as if he was stupid, "I'm an employment lawyer."

"I caught that," He mumbled, making me feel ashamed that I even continued speaking. He made me nervous, his presence was strong and self-sufficient. He knew himself well and he knew what his superpowers were. Grabbing the things he said he needed, he then moved us further down the hall to get to my office. We passed a few offices with people inside of them, talking widely either on the phone or with someone else sitting at their table, seeing straight through. By this point, I already knew my office would be made out of glass too and oddly enough, the one this man had shown me earlier was not. His were the only office that you couldn't see inside of, "It's because of safety. We don't want any traitors here. It's happened before so we decided to make everything out of glass."