"Would you take the cure?" 

The question came out of nowhere and Grace looked up to Elijah with a frown. But it seemed like he really was interested in her answer. 

"No, I wouldn't. I think I like myself more this way. And if I'm being honest...despite all the horror, the last few months have been the best of my life...and you?" 

A slight smile played around Elijah's lips. It was one of his most lurking fears that it was true that he ruined her life by stepping into it. But in contrary to her siblings, Grace was the only one that didn't see the Mikaelsons as a curse. That was all that mattered to him.

He took a moment to think about the questions. Elijah pulled her closer to his chest, feeling her strong heartbeat against his. Her warm breath stroked the sensitive of his neck. 

"I wouldn't. Even if the thought of having children with you and grow old with you by my side sounds lovely, some decades would never be enough. I want an eternity." 

Touched by his words, her hands lightly shook as she tried to hold back tears of joy. She kissed his cheek and squeezed his hand. 

"...Believe me, Grace, you have changed a lot. A year ago I would've thought differently." 

But before Grace could dig deeper into the topic, a loud rumbling sound came from behind them and when they turned around, Caroline was in Nik's arms and he bit down into the blonde's neck forcefully.

Grace and Elijah both stared at the hybrid in shock. He pushed Caroline back to Tyler and smiled his signature cruel smile with blood smeared lips.

"Well that was definitely worth the calories." 

...

Nik had to endure a whole speech of curse words from Grace after Tyler and Caroline left. His impulsiveness had led him into being a stupid idiot again and now he was too stubborn to cure the poor girl just to prove a point. Grace would've loved to slap this smug grin off his face and talk some sense into him. 

But in the end she took a page from Elijah's playbook and let him live with the consequences. Sometime she admired the oldest living Mikaelson brother for his restraint. He always seemed so calm and composed, even tough she knew that it looked quite different on the inside. 

Surprisingly, Tyler brought Caroline back inside the house after they had vanished for some time after she was bitten. Of course it was to call to the crush the hybrid had for the blonde vampire and hope that he would heal her on his own. 

For a while Nik shut himself off the emotions coming to surface. Caroline laid on the couch, breathing shallowly, it was obvious that she was in horrible pain. Grace could barely see it. 

The words Caroline spoke to Nik stung in Grace's heart. 

Everyone who's capable of love is worth being saved.

For a girl like Caroline it was really wise and absolutely right. Nik stared at her, tears slowly starting to pool in his eyes, but still he did nothing. 

Grace couldn't watch it anymore. She shook her head sighing and walked over to the other young vampire and sat behind her, gently placing the blonde's head in her lap. Her fingers combed her soft hair and she tried her best to make it comfortable for the dying girl. She even tried to ease her pain with her abilities, but she wasn't yet strong enough to really let it help.

"Thank you." 

Caroline whispered and Grace shushed her, implying that it was ok. Looking up to her friend, Grace shot Nik a pleading glance. He could save her, he just for once had to show mercy. That girl didn't deserve to die, they all knew it.