chapter 9

claires pov 

Yesterday must have really taken a toll on Rylie, it was nearly 10:30 when I woke up and she was still sound asleep. I laid there in the warmth for a while before finally convincing myself to get up and make us breakfast. 

I started humming a soft tune as I made scrambked eggs and toast for Rylie and myself. I heard footsteps upstairs and figured it was rylie waking up. There was a quiet thud and I looked to the stairs, hoping Rylie hadnt hurt herself. After a moment of silence i turned off the stove and went to check on my kitten. 

"Rylie?" I called softly as i reached the top of the stairs and saw the bedroom door open a just a crack. When there was no reply i walked over and slowly pushed the door open, expecting to see Rylie had fallen out of bed and asleep on the floor or something like that.

Instead I was met with something completely different, an empty room. "Rylie!" I called her name again, looking under the bed and in the closet. Once again there was no reply. I looked at the bed and noticed claw marks on the head board, but Rylie would never damage my furniture. Heck, she knocked over a plant the other day and nearly had a panic attack thinking she was in trouble. 

I was starting to worry if that was it, maybe Rylie had a nightmare and accidentally scratched the bed in her sleep. She's probably just hiding somewhere and will come out for breakfast. At least, that's what I told myself. 

I found this to be wrong not long after. No matter how I called her name, or said I wasn't mad at her, Rylie would not come out of hiding. I started to search the house for her, looking in all her usual spots and anywhere a kitten could fit. Nothing. 

I grabbed my coat and walked outside, hoping maybe shed seen an animal and chased it or got lost. Slowly my hope started to fade. The sky was starting to get dark and there was no sign of Rylie. I had stopped by the police station in hopes for help but they said I cant file a missing persons report for a pet. I really am on my own for this. 

As soon as I got home I looked everywhere I could think to look for her but still there was no sign of my lovely little neko. I sighed and set a container of food and water outside incase she came home that night and was hungry, I left a little note beside it too explaining that I wasn't angry at her. That I'm worried and want her to come home. 

Tears started to well in my eyes as I looked around my empty house. The usual warmth of my little Rylie on my lap or snuggled against my side was not going to be here tonight. What if id never feel that warmth again, or hear the purr of my sweet girl? 

No, I wont think like that. Rylie is fine, if shes not back tomorrow ill print off some missing pet posters and check the pound. I sniffed and dashed away the few tears that fell as I walked up tp my room.

I guess I forgot how cold the bed is without her. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~