Chapter 2: Fredrick

Picture is of Fredrick

I hate patrolling.

Don't get me wrong; I know it's important. I just hate doing it. I always thought that patrolling was meant for guardians, not scouts. Of course, being the alpha's son doesn't particularly help with that. I'm constantly being told that I know nothing of real pack life. It's frustrating to say the least.

At that moment, as I was patrolling that edge of the territory, I heard what sounded like a car engine. That wasn't too unusual; almost all of the adult pack members had cars. But what caught my attention about the car was the sent that came with it. I didn't recognize it, and I'm pretty sure that I know all of the pack's scent.

The scent was blocked by the car, but I could tell that there were at least two werewolves in the car. Most likely more if I could smell it. I quickly turned and started running back to the main area of pack territory. Luckily, I knew that the car was a ways off, so, even if it was coming here, I could get back to the Alpha house before it arrived.

As much as I hated patrolling, I loved running as a wolf. You could go so much faster as a wolf than as a human. I barely registered the forest around me as I ran as quickly as I could back to the pack area. That was the area where everyone lived. Thankfully, I got back to the Alpha's house, the house where I lived for eighteen years, and shifted back into my human form, my clothes melting from my fur to rest on my skin.

As I walked up onto the porch and got ready to knock, I heard my older brothers arguing. Again. I swear, it was as if they didn't like a thing about each other. In all honesty, they're the reason I've never wanted to be alpha. I knew that with two older brothers vying for the position, I would never get the chance to become Alpha. I also knew that I didn't have the strength that they had.

I shook my head and knocked on the door, hoping Dad would answer. After a few seconds, an older man with dark hair opened the door. "Fredrick? What's wrong?"

I smiled nervously at my father. "There's at least two new scents approaching in a car. They'll be here in about ten minutes."

Dad raised his eyebrows and nodded. "Okay. That must be the new alpha and her beta."

I blinked in surprise. "Wait, you're expecting a new alpha? Who is it?"

Dad nodded and crossed his arms. "Yes, there's a new one around here. Her name is Ericca Arquette. She's the alpha of the SoulArcher pack and she wants to talk to me about something."

I slowly nodded. "Well, okay. I guess you want Antawn and Kaedon to be there to meet her."

Dad nodded while looking at me. "Well, yes, but I also want you to be there too, Fredrick."

I looked at Dad, confused. "Huh? Why me? I'm not in line to be alpha."

Dad chuckled and pushed me, making me roll my eyes. "You're still my son, Fredrick. It doesn't matter that you're not training to be the alpha. And since they'll be here soon, just wait out here. I'll get your brothers."