"An older brother or sister? A legal guardian?"

I pulled at the skin around my nails. "They're at work."

He plopped himself down on his desk chair and I swore I thought the thing would break under his heavy weight. "I don't care, missy. You're gonna give me something 'cause I'm not letting you get out of this without any consequences. Also, shouldn't you be at school? Wow, shoplifting and skipping, huh. This day is gonna turn out to be your worst day."

Oh, and don't I know it.

FADED

I was so nervous I couldn't get my legs and hands to stop shaking. I also really needed to pee but I was so stressed that I didn't know if I really had to go or if it was just the anxiety. Mr. Anderson had made it his mission to keep me company so he could keep an eye on me. Every now and again he would catch my eye and shake his head like a disappointed parent would do. I just wanted to strangle his big fat throat, if he even had one, and force him to open his stupid eyes - I didn't steal anything, not intentionally. I still can't believe my own mother would set me up like that. She didn't even have the audacity to stay and explain things.

Jordan was right, maybe it was a wrong thing to have let her back into our lives. Hell, Ashton was right too, it seemed like our mother hadn't changed at all. Even Tristan was right, I trusted her too much. And Noah, well Noah never really made an effort to get close to her, maybe he was right too - protect yourself by keeping your distance.

Someone knocked on the door, bringing me back to reality. Jordan entered, dressed in his police uniform and I found myself gulping. There was something about a cop that was both unnerving and intimidating. Every time I saw Jordan dressed in his uniform, I saw Police Officer Moore who will make you freeze with just one glare, and not Jordan my overprotective brother who used to blow raspberries on my stomach when I was little.

Mr. Anderson looked confused. "I'm sorry officer but I don't think anyone called the police - "

"I'm Jade's brother, Jordan. You called?"

"Oh, right." He turned to look at me and smirked. "The irony. I didn't want to involve the police but it looks like someone's going to get in big trouble."

Jordan cleared his throat. "Let me be the judge of that."

"You should now that I caught your little sister stealing from my store."

Jordan turned his hazel eyes on me and I instantly avoided his gaze, thinking my shoes were more interesting to stare at.

"Did you see her do it?" he asked.

"I found the stolen CD in her backpack," Mr. Anderson pointed out.

"But did you catch her in the act? Did you see her put the CD in her backpack?"

"No but I still found it in her possession and it wasn't paid for, so that can only mean one thing."

"It can mean that she didn't do it on purpose. Maybe there's more to the story than you think."

Mr. Anderson forced a smile. "With all due respect, officer. But maybe you should regard this situation from a more neutral point of view."

"Excuse me?" Jordan hooked his thumbs around his belt and I caught Mr. Anderson's eyes lingering on the gun.

He swallowed hard, his adam's apple bobbing up and down. "I'm merely suggesting that it will be better if you'd look at this from your position as a police officer. Taking the role of her brother may cloud your judgement."

Jordan took a step forward and I could see Mr. Anderson visibly shift on his feet. "I'm sorry sir but I am her brother and I don't think you have a right to suggest how I should treat my sister. I understand what happened today is inexcusable and trust me, she will suffer the consequences but I don't take it lightly when people tell me what to do." My brother turned to me and stretched out his hand for me to take. "Let's go."