Chapter 9

We turned up outside Aaron’s around 8. Inside seemed to be absolutely packed with people and the music was so loud that we didn’t even have to look at the house numbers, we just had to follow our ears. Stepping out of the car, we turned around and waved to Sarah’s dad, who smiled and told us playfully to “behave ourselves”. Walking up to the front door we stopped to do final appearance checks to make sure we were looking flawless.

“God that dress looks fucking stunning on you” Sarah said

“Oh shut up, yours is amazing too!” I replied, brushing off her compliment. The house was unlocked so we opened the door and adjusted our eyes to the light. There were people everywhere, mainly girls it seemed, and I couldn’t see Luke anywhere just yet. Suddenly I felt something cold and wet pressed against my arm, and I jumped around in shock to see Sarah laughing and holding a Midori Splice out towards me.

“You scared the crap out of me!” I exclaimed, hitting her on the shoulder.

“Shut up and drink!” She said back. No complaints there! I thought to myself as I twisted the cap and took a sip.

Sarah grabbed my arm and pulled me through the crowd of people towards the back of the house. It didn’t take too long until I managed to spot Luke. He was surrounded by a group of girls who were getting photos with him. I stood there awkwardly staring at him and soon he looked over and spotted me amongst the rest of the party people, shooting me a big smile and motioned me to come over.

“He smiled at you,” Sarah yelled over the music, “You’re so in!” She teased. I shot her a playful glare and walked over towards Luke.

“Lydia!” He grinned, “You made it!”

“That I sure did” I replied, smiling uncontrollably.

“Come with me, I’ll introduce you to some people, okay?” He said, putting his hand onto my shoulder. I looked over at Sarah to see what her thoughts were, and she nodded in approval and mouthed that she was going to talk to some people over near the pool.

* * * * *

“Guys, this is Lydia, she’s just started at our school” Luke announced to a bunch of boys standing near the fence.

“Hey!” they all said in unison.

“Pleasure to make your acquaintance, mademoiselle.” One of them stepped forward, kissing my hand. I giggled and waved back awkwardly, taking another sip from my drink.

“Okay well that was my older brother Beau, and this is Daniel, James, Aaron, Andrew, Tyla and my twin brother Jai.” He said pointing to each person.

“Wait… Aren’t you the chick who was up in a tree while we were filming our video last week?” The one on the far left, Daniel I think, shouted.

“Oh my god, please pretend that never happened!” I replied blushing a little. The rest of their faces seemed to click in recognition, and they all burst out laughing. We stood there and chatted for a while. Luke and I got along even better than I could have imagined, fluently shooting jokes off of each other and never having a dull moment between us.

After a while I excused myself to put my empty bottle in the bin. I stepped into the kitchen and threw it in the rubbish before turning around and running straight into a tall girl with long brown hair.

“Sorry!” I apologised, before realising it was Scarlett, the girl who had given me a tough time ever since I started at Penola. I was expecting to get some kind of rude comment thrown at me but she just smiled sweetly and said it was okay. Kind of taken aback, I put my head down and tried to push past her to get back outside, but she blocked my way.

“Hey, I wanted to say sorry for being so mean to you… I don’t know why I’ve been such a bitch.” She said with a sincere look in her eyeas.

“Ummm, that’s okay” I replied, a little suspicious. She opened her mouth to speak again,

“Here, have a drink, I have heaps, and I saw you just threw an empty bottle away.” She held out a blue cruiser towards me.

“Oh, thanks!” I replied, smiling genuinely this time. “That’s really nice of you” She leaned over and gave me a quick side-hug before returning to her group of friends over on the couch.

Maybe she wasn’t that bad after all.