Chapter XIV - Truths at Every Corner

Start from the beginning

She sat up and found bright emerald eyes staring into her own. A soft smile even formed across her now full colored cheeks.   

“You’re awake,” Nora said. It came out in a long breath, a sigh of elation—relief. “How are you feeling?” Nora asked as she brushed damp strands of dark hair from her love’s face.

“Better.” She went to move, to sit up, but her face twisted in pain and a labored groan left her chest. A sharp, burning sting ripped from her legs all the way to her head. The intensity forced tears from her eyes and seized the breath from her lungs. “What happened to me?” she asked between breaths.

“Shh, just rest, love. You have been very sick.”

Emri’s eyes seemed to soften even more, perhaps becoming more focused than before at the term of endearment. She had heard Nora call her that once before, but couldn’t quite remember when or in what context it had been used. Everything seemed a blur. “I remember some things,” she said. “Very vague, though. Where are we?”

“I do not think you would believe me if I told you.”

She attempted to sit up again, but was met with a similar reaction, only this time, little dots of crimson began to show through her white linen shift. They had been too small to wrap, but big enough to require sutures.

“Do not try to sit up; you will aggravate your wounds further.”

Emri stopped and settled back against the pillow and bed. That’s when it finally occurred to her. She was laying on a bed, her wounds obviously tended to. She looked around but failed to recognize the design or interior of the home. This was different from anything she had ever seen in any of the other realms. When the panic didn’t wear off, her fearful gaze found and settled on Nora.

“Nora?” Her voice quivered the unasked question evident in her tone.

Nora sat still. She bowed her head, unable to look at the young woman’s panicked expression any longer. Instead, she reached out and took delicate, yet strong fingers within her own. “Do you remember when we found the nightwalkers? One had been shot by an arrow?”

Vaguely, yes. She nodded.

“And the first human body we came upon?”

She nodded again.

“These lands are inhabited by refugees of the three realms.”

“What? Then how …” The questioned died off her tongue as she was struck silent.

“It’s unbelievable. There are hundreds of tribes just like this one around the hollows. They have names, districts, leaders … all this”—she motioned around the room, alluding to the whole around them—“is what lies outside The Realms of Thrice. No wonder there was a panic. If you just sit and watch these people … it’s surreal. The way they live and operate. It is like another world out here. We came upon a young woman while you were gravely ill. She led us here so you could be cared for. Her name is Kaleisha. But here is the most fascinating part. She was born here … not in any realm. She’s a dweller of the hollows. No realm to call home. This, all this, is her home. Her parents were of the White and Gray.” She stopped to allow her words to seep in, take effect, and sure enough, within seconds, a brief flitter of anxiety crossed her face. “I think our situation has become more complicated.”

“Wow.”

“Here, you should go ahead and drink this. It will help promote healing … and the pain as well.”

“What is it?”

“Milk of some kind, infused with various herbs and medicine, all of which I know naught of.”