The Eradication - SNEAK PEEK

To get you guys pumped for what's to come, I decided to give everyone a sneak peek of one of the early chapters. It won't be enough to show what happens, but it might spark your interests. So here it is:

Katelyn's interview was surprisingly very simple. She asked me ten or so questions, and if there were any that I didn't feel comfortable answering, she crossed it out. Once Katelyn started talking, her voice was strong and professional, something that I never saw her as. I even gave a big thanks for saving me, which she gladly wrote down. Heck, if it was this easy, then I should've just done this a long time ago and saved the trouble.

There was one question that she had asked that lingered my mind. It didn't seem like such a strange question at first, but once I thought about it, it was one that I had asked myself for years.

Did I enter my name in the Pestilention?

After so many years, I still couldn't determine who would enter my name. I had asked Caden about it, and he swore on his life that he'd never do such a thing. I believed him, of course. My brother wasn't someone who did that. Even when he hated someone, Caden wouldn't even consider entering them into the deadly obstacle course.

Maybe it was why I had pushed Stace away. If she got tattoos, why wouldn't she be for Backstabbers? And all Backstabbers wanted to do was kill. As guilty as I felt for making such accusations, I couldn't help it. I didn't want to be surprised if someone I knew and cared about had done it. I wanted to be able to tell them without crying how much the Pestilention had ruined my life. I wanted to tell them how much they had ruined me.

There was someone that I still hadn't talked to about it. I had always wanted to get around to it, but every time I tried, I couldn't find the guts to. So I'd always leave it alone.

But I had nothing to do that day, and it was a good time to do it. I didn't want to wait another month to get around to it. Once I got to my apartment, I dropped my bag off, grabbed my keys, and went to my car.

"Hello, Kat," a monotone voice said as I opened my car door. I slid into the seat.

"Hey, Hannah." I had gotten a new car last year, which had a built-in voice. The self-driving car was supposed to be more advanced and be able to protect me if any accident occurred, which was something I needed. My favorite part was getting to name it. I always thought Hannah to be a pretty name. And so Hannah the car was born.

"Where would you like to go today?"

I told the vehicle the address - slow enough so that she didn't mishear me. It made a ringing sound, routed the way, and then started driving.

After an hour of driving, Hannah finally said, "Your destination is on the right."

After thanking the car, I got out. I locked it and placed the keys in my pocket. I took my time doing this, not wanting to look up. If I saw what I expected, then I'd surely chicken out and go back home. It's about time you ask, I told myself. You got this.

I turned to see a small house. Its roof was drooping and the porch was breaking. The plants in the front were dead and long gone. No one had bothered to care about it for what seemed like years. It wasn't abandoned, though. I knew exactly who lived there.

I stood next to Hannah for another minute before walking onto the porch. I didn't stand too still in one spot, for I feared that I might fall through it. My knuckles rocked against the door. For a second, there was only silence. I sucked in a deep breath and knocked again. This time, the door swung open, nearly hitting me in the face. In its place stood a woman, who was grumbling and complaining about how I had interrupted whatever she was doing. She wore a bathrobe that brushed over her knees and white socks. Even though it was noon, the woman looked like she had just woken up. Still grumbling, the lady tilted her head to look up at me. The words immediately left her mouth when she saw me.

"Katherine?" she asked.

That's all I can show you guys! I hope that you're ready for December 25, 2017, which is when I'll be publishing the first chapter. Stay tuned until then!