Chapter 38

It had been four days since we stepped foot off of the trail. We would all just sit, allowing our bodies to rest as we conversed amongst ourselves. The only time we got up was to refill our supplies. My body finally felt refreshed and my sore muscles had fully relaxed.

There was never a moment that I wasn't cautious, though. There was no way that what we were doing could slide past the Game Master so easily. Were we really that safe? Or was it an illusion to cover up something?

My thoughts were cut off by the sound of loud footsteps. The volume crescendoed as they grew closer. I snapped my head towards the direction of the noise, my heart hammering. Who could it be? I slid my knife into my hand.

"Stay behind me," I told Tilly, my voice shaking. God, why couldn't I be brave? I had been in plenty of near-death situations. How could this be any different?

I could hear Tilly's uneven breaths from behind me, but they were drowned out by my own. If only Ed were here to help. He had just left fifteen minutes ago to get water. Perfect timing, Ed.

My feet remained planted on the floor, shaking like weak twigs in the wind. The figure didn't seem to get any closer until they were right in front of me and grabbing my shoulders.

A scream emitted from the back of my throat. A hand clasped over my mouth. I nearly clawed out the person's eyes until I realized that it was Aster.

"Don't make a sound," he hissed. I stared at him, confused. Aster's breaths were heavy, and I could see blood sliding down his arm. He took his hand off of my mouth.

"What are you talking about?" I asked. He placed his finger to his lips. I clamped my mouth shut.

Aster extended his arm towards me, asking for the knife. After a moment's hesitation, I placed it in his palm. Aster turned to look at where he just came from. He held the blade over his head.

Aster's gone crazy, I decided. The thought was blown away as quickly as it came. I could hear another set of footsteps in the distance. It didn't sound like the soft tapping of feet, either. It was harsher...quicker...rougher.

My eyes widened as an animal, that was as tall as I was, ran at us on all fours. Its knuckles barely touched the floor as it flew towards us.

It was Tilly's turn to scream. I wrapped my arms around her shoulders and bent down so that her head was covered.

We remained like that for what seemed like forever. I didn't realize that it was because nothing was happening. I looked up. Aster was on his back, the monkey-like creature on his chest. The head sagged limply on his shoulder.

I let go of Tilly and ran over to Aster. He stared at the animal, frozen with shock. The creature stared at the floor with open jaws. The eyes were black. I pushed it off of Aster. The monkey rolled to the ground. It was as if I had flicked a light switch on because Aster bolted to his feet, throwing the knife into the beast's back.

"Aster!" I exclaimed. "What are you doing?!"

He gaped at me like a fish. "Killing it?"

I rolled my eyes. "It's already dead." I kicked it to prove my point. Aster relaxed. He bent down and slid the knife out from its spine.

He handed the blade back to me. "It's strange, but as long as we're all safe."

I turned the knife in my hand. There was something odd about it. But what? I couldn't quite get it...

I looked at Aster, watching him clean up his wound. My eyes widened. That's what it was.

There was no blood on the knife.

"Watch out!"

Tilly pointed at Aster, who yelped as another monkey leaped at him. Aster snatched my knife once more from my hands and placed it over his face. The animal had barely touched a hair on his head before its pupils enlarged. The entire area of the eyes turned black. It then fell to the floor, twitching. Aster stepped back. He only advanced towards it moments after the twitching stopped.

"What is it?" I asked, too afraid to talk above a whisper.

Aster shrugged. "It looks like a droid. Programmed for fear, not killing."

It won't kill us. Even though the thought reassured me, it didn't chase away the fear in my body. I was right. We had to leave, and we had to go soon.

"Once Ed comes back," Aster said. I snapped my head towards his direction. I didn't realize that I said that out loud.

I forced a smile. "Yeah, that would be best."

He returned the grin, but it wiped off of his face immediately. Confused, I turned, my eyes widening as one of the monkeys that had fallen stood up and ran towards me.

It's fine; it'll just go back down again, I told myself. You don't need to worry. I repeated the thought in my head and tried to remain calm as it continued to charge towards me. Soon it was only ten feet away. Then five. Then two. Then it was close enough for me to touch its nose or even the other way around.

It'll just go back down again.

I stared at its gold eyes, waiting for them to flicker off. They didn't.

Once the monkey grew impatient with the silence, it flung on me. I flew to the ground and placed my hands up to keep it from leaning over and biting my face off. The jaws snapped violently. I cried out for help. Aster still had my knife, so I had nothing to defend myself with. Just my hands.

My arms were trembling under its weight, and I knew that I'd have to let go soon. This was really how I was going to die? By a monkey that ate fleas off of its artificial hair? Or did it eat human flesh?

The screams of pain that came from the animal would make you question if it was a robot or not. The painstaking screech rumbled from the back of its throat and practically shook the ground. It howled for a moment and then fell limply in my hands. I kicked it away and scrambled to my feet. Aster helped me up.

"Thanks," I said as he placed my knife in my hand. The corners of his lips twitched, and I couldn't help but smile.

"So." Tilly, who was still shaking, stood next to us. "Are we leaving soon?"

When Ed got back, we were already packed up and ready to head out. He had not just gotten water, but a few rabbits to cook and eat. Unfortunately for him, he didn't realize that we were ready to book it.

When he saw the robots on the floor, he nearly dropped everything he had collected. We sat there, staring at him with looks of relief and anger.

He cleared his throat. "Did I miss something?"

Hey, everyone! Sorry that I didn't publish a chapter yesterday, it was my best friend's birthday (her username is iDream0utl0ud, go follow her and wish her a late happy birthday!).

I was also working on this surprise for this story yesterday. I'm so excited; it should be out next weekend with Chapter 38. I hope you all like it! Comment what you think it is. ;)

Don't forget to comment, vote, read, and tell your friends about this story. Don't forget to like with your pet's paw (if you don't have an animal, then a stuffed one is fine, too). Stay awesome.

This song is called Gorilla by Bruno Mars. Hope it didn't make the chapter less dramatic. Enjoy it, nonetheless.