Chapter 16

Camila's POV

A month later my belly is bigger with a noticeable bump, Lauren and I are doing well and I’ve started the job with the county counseling teenage girls. It’s a great job with health insurance, a good salary and a fantastic maternity package. For the time being I’ve decided to hold off on pursuing my Master’s. I still want it but I have too much going on right now to be able to focus on it properly.

Dad has finally come to terms with me having a baby so of course now he wants to meet Lauren. We’re going over on Sunday for dinner. It should be interesting.

I’m in what will be the baby’s room, testing out paint samples when Lauren calls out to me from the front door.

“Babe!” she calls just before I hear her close the door.

“I’m in the baby’s room!” I call back and swipe some light orange on the wall. It kind of reminds me of mac ‘n cheese.

She walks in a few seconds later, leaning against the doorjamb. “I want to eat that,” she chuckles from behind me. “Are you sure you want to paint in here?”

“Yeah. I don’t want Sally to be surrounded by asylum white,” I smirk. I’ve got swatches of yellow, green, mocha, orange, a light gray and a terra cotta red on the walls.

“What if I suggested you do the painting at my house?”

“I could do it there too,” I reply.

“No, just my house,” she says.

“But then what about her room here?” I give her a confused look. Dr. Pardloe couldn’t confirm it yet but I’m still convinced it’s a girl.

“She wouldn’t have a room here, and neither would you…”

Oh.

Ooooh.

“Are we ready for that?” I ask. We’ve only been officially dating for like five weeks.

“Probably not right now, but I think we will be by the time Sally is born,” she smiles.

“We could be, but if we’re not I want to be prepared,” I tell her.

“Your prerogative,” she shrugs. “We already made the deal to spend the first month after she’s born together. Do you really think you’ll want to come back here when that month is over? Unless you want me to move in here.”

“I haven’t really thought about it yet,” I admit. “It would be easier for you to come here, since me moving in with you isn’t just moving me in. Plus if I have to have a C-section it’s going to take longer for me to recover.”

“Okay, I like the terracotta then. I would like us to be living together by the time she’s born though. I’m pretty positive neither one of us will be able to be away from her.”

“I’d probably sneak in during the night to check on her,” I snicker. “I’ve been feeling the bubbles again.”

She smiles and says, “I can’t wait to be able to feel her.”

“Soon,” I smile.

“You know, I could always sell the hotel and we could get something smaller together…”

“Do you really want to sell the house?” I ask. “I think we should hold off on house hunting until we’re married. That’s a big commitment to make.” Not that Sally isn’t, but a house is different.