Chapter Fifty-Three

Začít od začátku

Hand looked so shocked she couldn't speak. I didn't give her a second look as I plopped back down next to Grant. I saw him glance at me out of the corner of my eye.

"Slater?"

"I'm fine. You?" I could still only see him with my peripheral, but he nodded and leaned back. I could see a muscle in his jaw popping out, so I knew he was anything but fine, but I knew talking about it with this company wouldn't make anything better.

I leaned my head back next to his, so we were sitting in the same position, and focused on matching my breathing with his. It forced me to take deep breaths and calm down, and gave me something to focus on besides how pissed I was at Hand.

We flew through the air like that, in total silence, for almost half an hour. Hand was probably still mad, but she didn't do anything about it or speak again, so I was happy. Finally, one of the pilots poked his head out from the cockpit.

"We're getting ready for final approach," he announced. Hand nodded and he went back to the cockpit, but Garrett chose now to perk up in his seat.

"Agent Grant Ward," he intensely, leaning forward as far as his restraints would allow him. "Do your duty."

Grant was practically twitching he was so tense. His eyes were closed, and his hand was shaking as he reached for his gun. He rested his hand on the handle, and I swear I saw a bead of sweat drip down his forehead. I couldn't stand it. I reached out and rested my hand on top of his, on top of his gun.

"Hey," I said, trying to sound as calm as possible, "Focus on me."

****************

"Agent Grant Ward. Do your duty."

I could hear Garrett's words echoing in my head. My duty was to take this plane. I wasn't going to shoot Slater, obviously, but I couldn't leave Garrett high and dry. I'd have to pay my debt to him and manage the consequences as best I could.

Everything seemed hazy. The room felt blurry. I closed my eyes. I could feel myself sweating and shaking like crazy. I reached for my gun and felt the cool metal on my soaked palm. This was it. Now or never.

"Hey." I heard a voice break through the haze, and felt a soft, warm hand on top of mine. "Focus on me."

Samantha. I slowly opened my eyes, turning my head to face at her. Remarkably, she looked calm. I didn't move my hand off my gun, but I felt my muscles relax, if only a little.

****************

Grant looked terrified. In all the years I'd known him, I'd never seen his hazel eyes look so panicked and stressed, like a caged animal. I tried not to show my surprise. I needed to be strong for him. Clearly something with Garrett was hitting him harder than I knew.

"Good job, just keep focusing on me. I'm right here. Just like I have been since our first mission, I'm here, and I'm not going anywhere."

My left hand was on top of Grant's right, all on top of the gun. I moved my right hand to rest on his knee, shifting so that I was blocking his view of Garrett as much as possible.

"We're gonna get through this, okay? Whatever it is, we can take anything. One-hundred and eighty-two things have tried to kill us, and failed. Nothing can touch us when we're together."

Grant was still giving me an intense stare down, but he wasn't death-gripping the pistol anymore, which was an improvement.

"Deep breaths, okay. Breathe in, breathe out."

Grant actually seemed to be relaxing, but of course nothing is ever that easy.

"Grant Douglas Ward!" yelled Garrett. I could block him from sight, but I couldn't put him on mute. "I pulled you out of hell! I-"