Chapter Twenty-Eight

A/N: If I don't specifically say something or there aren't large parts of text in bold, assume it's Samantha, not Grant. Also, this chapter crosses over with Avengers in the timeline, so there are some Avengers spoilers in this chapter if for some reason you haven't seen it yet.

****************

A few hours later, we landed safely back at the Triskelion. No surprise, Grant woke me up with an earthquake.

We marched Tess and Marco off the plane, handing them off to a few SHIELD agents who met us just outside the hanger. Grant seemed calmer, but I worried that he was faking. He had been irrationally angry earlier, and I didn't buy for a second that it was because of our covers.

Before I could start probing to see if he was still upset, Coulson speed-walked up to us.

"Agent Slater. Agent Ward. You're being reassigned immediately," he said, looking happy.

I glanced at Grant. "Where are we going?"

"The helicarrier."

****************

"I can't believe it, I can't believe it, I can't believe it!" I squealed as Grant maneuvered our Quinjet to a reserved spot on the deck of the helicarrier.

"Calm down Samantha."

"I can't! We're being posted to the Helicarrier! And Coulson's going to be flying in with Captain America any minute!"

"Speaking of which, can you think of any good reasons why he asked you to stay on deck and wait for them to land?" asked Grant.

"Um, maybe because he know's I'm as much of a fangirl as he is?"

"Of course," said Grant, sounding a bit on edge.

"You okay?" I asked.

"Fine."

Clearly a lie, but I didn't think it was anything urgent. It could probably wait until after I met Captain Freaking America.

"See you later then, I guess," said Grant, giving a slight wave before he headed below deck.

"See you!" I called, giving a much more exaggerated wave.

I looked around at the people on deck, rushing about from place to place. I felt lame just standing there, but I didn't know what else to do.

Finally, Coulson's Quinjet came in for a landing. The back ramp came down and I looked over to see him and Captain America coming out.

I walked up to them, trying my hardest to remain calm and professional.

"Hey Phil," I said, giving him a smile.

"Samantha. Good to see you. Captain Rodgers, meet Agent Slater."

"Nice to meet you," he said, reaching out to shake my hand, "Call me Steve."

"Likewise. And call me Samantha." It took all I had not to scream.

Before I could say anything else, we were joined by none other than SHIELD legend, the Black Widow. I was literally surrounded by my idols.

"Agent Romanoff, Captain Rodgers and Agent Slater," said Phil as a way of introduction.

"Ma'm," greeted Steve.

"Nice to meet you," I said, positively beaming at this point.

"Hi," she said, then to Coulson, "They need you on the bridge, they're starting the phase trace."