Chapter Fourteen

Ward and I went straight back to our hotel room after the cafe, and as soon as he shut the door I punched him in the arm.

"What was that for?" he asked, looking at me like I was crazy.

"The girl in the cafe. Don't get too cocky," I said simply, turning around to go into the next room.

"Oh come on. I got the information we needed. Besides," he said, coming to stand in front of me and leaning in, "You have to admit I'm pretty good looking."

I did have to admit that, but not out loud. The whole point of this was to keep his ego from blowing up.

So, instead of agreeing, I said "eh" and shrugged my shoulders as I pushed past him into the next room.

Grant looked shell shocked, but I didn't wait for his reaction before moving on. We had more important things to deal with.

"So," I said, "What did the people in the antique shop say?"

I saw Grant shake his head, then he turned to answer my question.

"They didn't say much that I could use. Mostly they were discussing the blue glow the girl in the coffee shop told us about. But it sounded like the guy wanted to go out to the caves for himself with another group to look for the source. My guess is that group is the source of the chatter that SHIELD picked up on. We might have to be careful when we head out to those caves tomorrow."

"Alright, obvious question here, do you think it's another one of those orbs that we found in Costa Rica?" I asked.

"I mean, it fits the description. But either way we're going to have to be on guard. Whoever that girl you took out was might have friends here in Narsaq."

"I knew we should've insisted that headquarters told us what they found out from her. What if she gave up important information that could help us now?"

"Well, we're just going to have to deal with it," said Grant, crossing his arms, "That's our job."

"What? Going into situations without the information we need because the top brass is being stupid?"

"No. Getting the job done no matter the obstacles."

Now it was my turn to roll my eyes.

"Whatever," I said, going to get ready for bed, "Sounds like we're going to have a long couple of days."

"Especially since we have to camp," Ward reminded me.

Ugh. I hate camping.

****************

As I was laying in bed, trying to fall asleep, I kept thinking about the mission waiting for us tomorrow. If the blue orb was anything like the one in Costa Rica, none of our tech was going to be of any use. I resolved to wake up early (insanely early, like earlier than Grant) and sneak down to the antique shop again to pick up anything and everything that could be of some use to us in the field.

****************

It had been so hard to sneak out without waking up Grant! He was such a light sleeper! Thankfully, I had somehow managed to do it, and I had gotten back from the antique store just as he was waking up. I had found and old camera, an old pair of binoculars (can you believe they even put tech in those now?), an old compass, and, just because you never knew what you might need, an old sowing kit. I had told the lady my husband was an antique lover, and I wanted to surprise him. She helped me find everything I needed.

The best part: Ward knew nothing.

Immediately after he woke up, we had headed out into the hills with all our camping gear to find the cave the girl in the coffee shop had mentioned.