15. Destiny's Plan

Start from the beginning

He parked the car and we both got out, allowing me time to come up with an answer. Did I believe that everything happened for a reason?

"No, I don't," I said as we entered the building. The school looked deserted since everyone was already in class. "Because if destiny is a thing, that would mean that my mom had to get rear-ended all so you could take me to school two weeks later."

He was silent as we continued down the empty corridor to the main office for our late slips.

"Alright, it sounds pretty messed up when you put it like that," he agreed, as we entered the office. "But you have to think of the bigger picture. That car ride could play a huge role in our futures."

"Or it could turn out to just be a car ride," I shrugged.

"Guess I'll add cynical to my short list of Mermaid facts," he joked.

Or at least I hoped it was a joke.

+ + +

The bell rang, signaling the end of class and the start of lunch. Since I hadn't eaten breakfast I was actually looking forward to the cafeteria food, something I never thought I'd do. My journey was interrupted when an arm draped around my shoulders. Looking over, I found that it was Vivian's.

"Uhm, hi," I said slowly, trying to understand the situation. There was an unreadable smile her red-painted lips as we navigated our way through the hall of hungry students. She'd always been cold and standoffish towards me, so this was a little strange.

"Want to go get some lunch?" She asked, her tone cheerful and bubbly. A part of me felt like it was staged.

Pointing in the direction of the cafeteria I said, "That's where I was heading."

"Gross," she grimaced. "Not from there. Miles didn't tell you? We're going somewhere where they serve real food. There's this place that has these delicious burrito bowls. What do you say? Want to come?"

I had to admit that a burrito bowl sound a lot more appetizing than the Salisbury steak they were serving that day for lunch. And if Miles was going to be there, then maybe Vivian wasn't trying to lure me to my death.

"Sure," I said and Vivian's smile grew into a grin. She removed her arm from my shoulders, locking elbows with me instead.

Miles was leaned against the back of his car, staring down at his phone. When he glanced up he looked surprised to see me. My stomach knotted. Why'd Vivian lie about him inviting me?

"Hey, hope you don't mind that I invited a friend?" She said to him as we got closer.

"Not at all," he said, his questioning eyes on me.

The three of us got into the car Vivian insisted that I sit up front with Miles. I'd driven in a car with him a few times, yet this ride felt very awkward for some reason. Maybe it had something to do with the fact that I kept catching Vivian looking at me through the rear-view mirror. I was starting to think that I should've just stuck with the cafeteria for lunch.

"So," Vivian said, popping her head between the front seats. "Got any plan for Halloween?"

Miles and I shared a brief look, but said nothing. After a few beats Miles said, "I might go with Cam to the Halloween thing at Ryan's school."

Vivian nodded, a knowing smile on her face as she turned her attention to me. "What about you, Loren? Any plans?"

I contemplated jumping out of the car, we were moving that fast, I could've survived it. Instead, I said, "Nope."

Thankfully, we arrived at the restaurant a few minutes later. It was pretty deserted so we didn't have to wait long for our food to arrive. Although, it seemed like it took hours as Vivian rambled on about her mom, how sore she was from cheer practice and rehashing old memories with Miles.

I thought I was the only one feeling odd about the outing, but I think Miles felt it too. His foot tapped nervously, which I only notice because he was making our side of the booth vibrate. The only reason I was seated next to him was because Vivian said she needed to prop up her legs. She seemed to be the most comfortable of the three of us, as she grinned and feasted on the complimentary chips and salsa. Which seemed off since she's usually sporting a constant bitch face.

"Sorry, I feel like I'm the only one talking here," she said. The booth stopped shaking as Miles looked up from his taco. "Where'd you move from, Loren?"

The two bites of my burrito I had turned in my stomach. "We lived just a few towns over."

Her brows pulled together as she sipped her drink. "Did this town have a name? Why so secretive?"

She knew. She knew about the accident. About what my dad did, what I caused. I felt sick. I couldn't even run without looking like a complete freak because I was boxed in the booth. Vivian's looked second away from bursting into laughter.

"Viv," Miles hissed through his teeth.

"What? It's just a simple question," she said, innocently.

"What is this, Vivian?" I looked up at him, his eyes were trained on her, challenging her.

"You two are being weird," she laughed. "Like, you're not talking to each other. I thought you were friends. I mean, every time I turn around you two are together. Now you have nothing to say to each other?"

She laughed again, turning her body towards us and dropping her feet to the floor. "This was supposed to be three friends hanging out, but you two are making it awkward. Loren hasn't even said more than two words this whole time."

They both looked at me and my mouth went completely dry. All the moisture seemed to go directly to the palms of my hands.

"Is it because I'm here," Her brown eyes were narrowed in on me. "And the fact that Miles and I used to date? It's must be super awkward flirting with a girls ex right in front of her."

"Viv." Miles was starring daggers at her, but she was focused on me.

"Or maybe it's awkward because of what you were doing over the weekend at that party?" she said.

How the hell did she know about Jerrell? Miles turned to me, and I knew he had questions he was too nice to ask.

"You know what, how about I leave?" She slid out of the booth, hoisting her purse over her shoulder. "I'll find my own way back to school. You two just enjoy your date."

She winked, her clown-like smiles still on her face, and left the restaurant. A few moments of silence passed as the low restaurant music played overhead.

Turning to a conflicted looking Miles I asked, "Was that a part of destiny's plan?"