Eight.

Violet

Will wasn't talking to me. Every afternoon I tried to connect with him, but it was like we had a permanent block between us. Every night I waited for him to start talking to me but it his consciousness never clicked on for us to have a conversation. I wanted to take back the kiss, I wanted to tell him I was sorry about the small flirtation I had experienced with Cam at the club. 

"I mean, I thought it was him I had made out with the next morning. That has to count for something, right?" I asked Amber into the phone the Saturday morning before Christmas. 

"I guess." She answered. I pulled my feet up onto my computer chair, picking at a piece of hair on my black leggings.

"Are you all packed?" I asked, feeling something in my gut twist. 

"Please, let's not talk about moving. I'm really going to miss this farmhouse." She said. I could relate. I had lived in only one house in my childhood, until Mom had lost her job. We packed up to move to the countryside when I was eleven, to a place where rent was cheaper and my parents didn't think I'd grow up to be a gang banger. It was now four years, six houses, and one long stay at a hotel room when we were homeless, later. 

"Maybe you'll like your new house too." I tried to sound encouraging, but it deadpanned.

"Yeah, maybe." I said. "Cam asked me out on another date."

"I think you and Cam could be a cute couple. He's a bookworm, and you're a bookworm. So it matches." She said. Behind me a commercial with one of Requiem's new songs playing on the background came on, and without even having to turn around I flicked the remote over my shoulder and turned it off.

"I hate that new sportswear commercial." I said. "That stupid song playing on in the background." 

"Yeah, I know. Those goddamn traitors." She said. We both laughed. 

"Can I tell you something?" She asked.

"Go for it." 

"Please don't be mad." I held my breath, waiting for whatever next came after her mouth. Nothing good usually succeeded that sentence. "I slept with Tristan a few nights ago and now we're a couple. 

"Aww...that's good." I said, my tone questioning. At least it wasn't Blake, right? Despite his quirks Tristan didn't seem so bad. "How did that happen?"

"His friend Kayla came over. We connected with her and...yeah." She said.

"Sounds kinky." I said. She laughed.

"Probably. Anyways I have to go and cook dinner. See you soon." She added.

"Sure, I'll see if you can come over sometime during winter break." I said, before hanging up. I logged on the computer, but it was still too early to talk to Alice. I tapped on the keys a few times, not really in the mood to write anything. I surfed the web for a bit, before minimizing the web browser. I stared at the screen, noticing Will in the back of my mind.

Hey.

Hey. 

Erm...how have you been? I thought out, awkwardly. 

Good. I just came home from a date. 

Okay. Good for you? 

I wasn't going to think that. I didn't want to. Because...yeah. He stumbled over his words. Like I would really care who he was on a date withm.

I have a date with Cam coming up. 

Oh, second date. Good. He took his jacket off. I'm sorry about everything that happened. I shouldn't have started talking to you when I was still talking to my brother. That was shitty.