Four.

Violet

Hot, summer days were a thing of the past. Fall days had been mild, but now at the beginning of November I had to wear a jacket everyday to school. I smeared on dark eyeliner under my eyelids and threw on my blue hoodie.

"You have to eat breakfast." Mom said as I sat down in the living room with a cup of coffee.

"I'm trying to lose weight."

"Eat a Pop-Tart at least." Mom said. I got up and went back into the kitchen, grabbing a Pop-tart. The school bus came and I climbed on, putting in headphones.

Hey, is anyone up? I thought outwards.

Hey band whore. Derrick, the guitarist for Circus interjected. He was flipping pancakes.

Hey little woman. Isn't it too late to be eating breakfast?

We got in late last night. He poured batter into the pan. You should come out with us if you can. Liam hates clubs so you could switch with him and let him sit one out.

Maybe. Didn't you move out? Derrick, Jack, and Christian all lived together, until Derrick got a girlfriend and moved in with her and their friend Daryl.

Yeah but I crashed here last night.

Ah, okay. Derrick heard someone walking down the hallway and turned around. Jack stepped into the kitchen, hair flaired out everywhere.

"Good morning." Derrick said. Jack smiled and sat down.

"Morning. How did you sleep?" Jack asked.

"Violet's here." Derrick said. Jack noticed me and frowned before blocking me out. I shifted in my seat, wondering what the hell I ever did wrong. I must really suck for even the people in my head to hate me.

Jack

"You just like, bitch buttoned her." Derrick said, moving pancakes onto a plate.

"She'll get over it." I said, before winding my arms around his waist. He shifted, prying my arms away from him.

"Stop it." He said harshly. I stepped back, sliding into a kitchen chair.

"It seems like you forgot about last night." I said. He sat the carton of orange juice in front of me, his hand straining on the cardboard. I considered his steely gray eyes.

"Nothing happened." He said.

"It was just a few kisses. I won't tell anyone, I swear. You know me." I said. He set the pancakes down.

"I do, I know you too well. So, you better not say anything." He warned. I picked at the sticker on the bottom of my glass.

"I have never understood the behavior of in the closet straight men." I said. "You seem to always resent the things you love the most." He didn't turn around, but I could see his back stiffen. I set the glass down. "How can you deny a part of you and do so willingly?"

"There's nothing to deny." Derrick said, turning around to me. We had been the best of friends since we were 13. Although I always had many friends, he was truly the friend I could always count on. He didn't judge me when I came out as bisexual the following year. He would help me take makeup off before I went home everyday, because Dad would throw a fit if he knew his youngest son enjoyed wearing eyeliner.