Wasted time

"You're gonna need something new to tease me about Ken!"

I shout at him, he's sitting on the couch while I'm at the table painting.  The rose looks like it's been freshly cut, as if it's only resting on the page like a beautiful offering from the gods.

"Why is it lilac?  Roses are red."

Ken points out, leaning over my painting and giving a slight nod of acknowledgment. 

"The stupid paint came out the wrong color."

I scowl, the watercolor set I've inherited from my sister not agreeing with me near as much as it did with her.  Between bopping around and considering uploading a dance practice I have not gotten a thing done.  The guilt weighs heavy. 

"Add orange to the pink, it'll come out right."

I mutter complaints while doing what he says, my comprehension of the color wheel quite primary.  Slowly the hot pink takes on a more acidic tone, some light brown bringing out a rich hue.  It's red, the sly devil was right. 

"Enjoy your painting Qu qu, I'm taking a nap."

He says, qu qu standing for 'qu qu clock' and also for 'crazy idiot'.   I wonder if he's feeling okay, naps being a sign he isn't feeling too hot.  Instead of dwelling on it I continue to lay pigment to paper and waste my time and burn through another day, almost sick of it all. 

~R.