"She can't drive"

Ro is a kind soul. She catches bugs and puts them outside, writes cards, and knits people hats. Ro is sweet and sarcastic if you can envision those two things going together, but there's some things she isn't. And one of those is she isn't a good driver. So when her Mom said she could drive to the library to look up certifications for her resume, something I know she isn't going to end up doing, I mentally prepared my last will and testament.

"Got the keys bitch!"

She whispered before doing this god awful cackle that she picked up from somewhere, the confidence sure to fly out the window once she starts the car. I watch her pretend to fiddle with some dials and mirrors, really waiting for her Mom to leave her peripheral before she turns the key. A very exaggerated blind spot check is executed, and I can bet it's the only thing she absorbed from the twelve hours of lessons and four day course. Even with the blind spot checking, we've often pulled out in front of a vehicle. I really do fear for my life.

"Ken where do I turn!"

She says, now in a full out panic because the car isn't facing the right way. I glance behind, the road still deserted as always.

"Ro pull into the mail boxes and turn turn turn TURN!"

I shout the last one because she was about to snail crawl past them, indecisive to a fault. I suppose she was going to try and execute a three point turn instead but I'd much rather save that talent for another time. Instead of focusing on not hitting the metal boxes that are close enough to my side I can see the green paint peeling she puts on her signal.

On the deserted road.

That was her priority.

And I almost cry when I see her check her blind spot a few years later than it would have been relevant, finally getting the car off the road. We both take some time for a good breath and she finally gets the window wipers on, the rain starting to pelt down.

"Back it up-"

I begin, congratulating the other ideas that surfaces with the phrase. I like my mind, no shame allowed. Ro on the other hand doesn't always find it funny, and this is one of those times when she glares at me, the smirk on her face giving it away.

"Shut up you love me."

I mutter while trying to see past the mail boxes. Even on a deserted road, with bad luck, and her driving, we could get hit. As we crawl down the road I force myself not to offer advice every turn and just let her do something on her own once without me hovering. I'm quiet, and I can tell she appreciates it as she turns down the radio a little, glancing over at me with a smile. It hurts, to see how capable she is on her own, then she blows over the train tracks without a glance either way.

"Did you check for trains?"

I say sarcastically, and she whips her head back.

"Fuck...well it's behind us now."

Is the answer after what I guess you could call a blind spot check if you were feeling generous. The rain continues to spatter down, kind of reminds me of a kid spitting, and it'll probably be snow by tonight with the negative temperatures we've been getting. The first time driving on our own, I can't even believe it happened, we pull into the library parking lot without a hitch. She parks fine enough, but I can't help picking on her. Fighting about the little things is our specialty. The snow starts to fall as we bicker under the car's light, and short of having somewhere to actually go for three hours instead of freezing here it's almost perfect.

_K.