Chapter 1

Something is ringing. It enters my dreams and drags me out kicking and screaming. I open my eyes and sit up, searching for the intrusive sound. I locate it on a nightstand, in the form of a cell phone-Victor's cell phone. I nudge the pile of blankets beside me.

"Victor."

He doesn't even budge. The ringing stops, then starts over as whoever it was continues to call. I shake Victor again to no avail. Sighing, I grab my pillow and lift it over his head. One well aimed strike will wake him up, but one strike from Victor could kill me. Why must all mornings begin like this? I think moments before the pillow contacts his head.

A growl-like noise escapes the blankets and before I can move Victor launches himself at me. I scream as my back hits the hardwood floor, knocking all the air out of me. Victor lands on me, pinning me down by my waist and my wrists. He grins while I struggle against him. When I finally give up he glares at me with a look that would make even the bravest men run for cover. It's an animalistic gaze. Dark brown eyes that look at you the way a predator looks at prey. His grin almost mocks you, like he can sense your fear, and that fear amuses him. Most people swore that his stare is not human, but then again Victor isn't human.

See, Victor Creed is a mutant, which is basically an evolved human. There are a lot of mutants in the world. All of them have different abilities such as flying, mind reading, and super strength. I know that probably sounds like something from a comic book, but it's true. Victor's abilities are cat-like instincts. They including razor sharp claws, and a healing factor (meaning he can't really die). Now don't think I mean your domestic house cat when I say "cat-like instincts". I don't mean cute and cuddly. I mean the type of cat that would kill you without even blinking. His healing factor gives him an added bonus on top of being invincible: he doesn't really age. Victor was born somewhere around 1830; however, he only looks about thirty-five. He's pretty special. I, on the other hand, am completely human. A plain brown hair, blue eyed, eighteen-year-old human. An average girl with a dead mother and an uncaring father, just like most people in North America.

Victor brings me back to reality with a sigh. I blink up at him, then tell him to get off me. He leans back on his heels, pulling me into a sitting position in the process. "Addie, I believe we've had this conversation, about the pillow?" He says in a deep voice. His voice pretty much always has a menacing tone to it. I just smile at him, "Yes, just like we discussed you putting your phone on silent... Since you can sleep through it and I can't."

Right on cue the phone begins ringing again. Victor frowns and gets up, gently pulling me with him. It's only now that I realize he is still fully dressed; from his military green pants and black t-shirt, to his long trench coat that Sherlock Holmes should've owned. He must've got home really late, I think as I sit beside him on the bed. He reaches across the bed, then sits up with his phone in his hand. He glances at the caller ID and looks at me. "It's your father," He warns before answering. Victor puts it on speaker and I listen in silently.

"Victor have you seen Addison?" My father's militant voice barks. Victor glances back at me, "No sir, but I'm not at base. I'm at home."

"Why aren't you here? It's almost nine o'clock."

"I'm on leave today sir."

"Did you clear that with me?"

"No sir, but I'm always on leave after a mission."

"Well not today. I need you to find Addison. She's gone MIA. Find her, then report here."

"Yes sir." my father hangs up. Victor continues to stare at me while I stare at the bedspread; suddenly becoming very interested in the black flowers patterned into a crimson background.

"Addie, if-"

"I know I know. If I am going to spend the night I have to at least tell my father something so that this doesn't happen. I can't just go MIA."

Victor shakes his head and sighs, "You know, sometimes I forget you're only eighteen. You act so much older."

I smile back, "Have you seen where I grew up?" I get up and walk to the doorway, then stop and look back "I'm going to make coffee. Want some?" Victor nods and I leave. I go into the tiny white kitchen and find the coffee pot on a small counter. Leftover coffee still sits in pot and filter, so I have to clean them out before I can begin. I carefully measure out new coffee grounds and place them in a new filter inside the machine.

The coffee pot is still filling with water when suddenly it starts heating up. I place a finger under the faucet, thinking the water is just hot. It's ice cold. I shut it off and pour out the water. The pot is getting hotter and hotter as I stare at it in confusion. I pull it away from the sink to examine it closer. It's just an ordinary pot, nothing special about it. The heat radiates into my hands, strangely not burning them at all. Then suddenly it hits me.

I drop the pot and stare in horror at my hands. They are lighting up in an orange-red color, as if fire is rising up through my palms. It's not the first time this has happened. It happened last year while Victor was gone, and then again a few months ago while he was here. At this point it can only mean one thing, and my father wasn't going to like it.

Victor appears in the kitchen doorway. He's shirtless, showing off several sets of muscles in his chest and arms. I look up at him, and then realize I'm sitting on my knees. His face is etched in concern. "Addie? What's wrong?"

I don't have to answer. His eyes go wide as he looks at my hands. I look down and see two flames resting on my palms. I scream and instinctively rub my hands on my jeans. Victor reaches me and quickly moves my hands away from the flammable fabric. The flames are gone, and my hands look completely normal. I look at Victor with tear-filled eyes. He looks back slowly. We both know what this means.

"Oh no. Addie... God no..." He murmurs.

"My dad is going to kill me Victor," I cry. I lean forward and begin sobbing into my hands. Victor pulls me into his arms carefully and holds me.

"Congratulations Addie," he mutters bitterly into my hair, "you're a mutant."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi everyone! Hope you enjoy this story. Please let me know what you guys think of it! I love reading comments and will try to answer all of them. Also, any votes are greatly appreciated ;)

Thanks for reading!

~Ava

March 7, 2015 Update: I am going to be editing some things in this story, so I apologize in advance for any gaps/errors in this story ;)