Chapter 8-Flirts and Friends

Start from the beginning

"Are you okay?" Jonah questioned, having looked from the board and back to the young man opposite him, noticing that his friend's expression seemed troubled. Finally, he posed the question about his wellbeing.
For a second, Connor appeared startled, taking a moment to understand that the question had been directed at him. In an attempt to further prove that the question required the young man to answer, Jonah raised his eyebrows once he saw Connor's green eyes land on him.

"Uh, yeah," Connor's eyes brightened again, showing a smile, "I'm okay."

Jonah looked out for him already. He was a good friend; a great friend, who had arrived at his door on short notice on Saturday, who had comforted him when he felt lonely and he had asked if he was doing alright on more than one occasion. That was nice, to say the least, but he'd never had that with Christine.
Connor took a few seconds to consider a possibility, eventually forming a plan out of it, making a mental note to consult Jonah on joining him in executing this plan. However, his thought process was interrupted once again, his gaze landing on his hand, on which he felt a slight pressure, something soft touching him extremely gently. He saw immediately that the source of the pressure was Jonah's hand as he lightly caressed his knuckles, the smaller boy smiling when he saw his pale skin, so light in comparison to Jonah's that appeared golden in the light of the classroom, before directing his smile up to the other male. Jonah's smile was soft and inviting as he tilted his head a tiny fraction to his right, their eyes locked.
This was why, Connor thought. This was why he'd never had this with Christine Scott or anyone else. Jonah was kind to him immediately

"Do you think you're going to be available at some point this weekend?" Connor asked him quietly, the boy's hands never separating.

"Depends on what time," Jonah shrugged, still smiling. "My mum wants us to go out together at some point this weekend."

The other male thought about his schedule, bouncing his knee under the table as he thought about his shift at the store. "Anytime after half-past one on Saturday or before one on Sunday. I'm at work otherwise."

Now, it was Jonah's turn to think, considering his mother's schedule as well as his own. Considering his was cleared, having made no attempt to make plans at all, in fact even since he'd settled in his new house, he knew that, whatever time or place his friend chose, he'd undoubtedly be alright with it. His mother, however, was still searching for work after their move, which was one of the reasons she wanted to visit the high street with her son that weekend, and she'd want to make the journey as soon as she could. Saturday morning, it seemed would be alright to execute her plan, however, Jonah made a mental note to double check when he arrived at home.

"I'll check, but I think Saturday should be fine. Why? What do you want to do?"

"I want to take you and Chris out for a while," Connor said, looking down at the table to avoid eye contact, slightly afraid of how Jonah would respond.
His reaction was to squint slightly in confusion, his hand still resting on his friend's.

"Sure, but I don't think she likes me," he admitted. Connor looked back up quite quickly.

"I want her to, that's the thing," he laughed, slightly awkwardly, "and I think it'd be nice to spend time with her while she's not ranting and smoking. I want to spend time with my friends."

"Well, okay, I understand and I'm not opposed to trying to be her friend, but how come you guys never hung out before?"

"Because I didn't realise how bad it was getting," Connor admitted, turning over the hand underneath Jonah's to hold it properly. Connor's light grip wasn't returned by the dark-haired male for a few seconds, his expression softening to one that seemed slightly saddened.