Chapter Ten

Hanna

Cassian's words still sting. I know I should blow them off, let them go, but they still hurt. He hit me below the belt, and he knows I'm pissed off.

I glare at Cassian as I take my place across the circle from him. I feel Tamlin's tightly held temper. I thank the Cauldron he is smart enough to let me fight my own battles. I don't want to snap at him. My temper flares more easily these days. In fact, all of my moods have become more volatile.

I push every thought from my head and sink into an icy calm. I keep a scowl on my face. Let Cassian think I'm still furious enough to be reckless, stupid. "Come on, Hanna, I don't have all day," he drawls. He flashes that cocky, insufferable grin. I charge at him, keeping my guard open.

Cassian steps to the left, towards my exposed side. I turn, stepping around him. I see his eyes widen in surprise as I swing my foot out and trip him. Cassian stumbles, but he manages to recover himself. I feel my mate radiating approval and pride as he observes, but I block out the bond, block out everything but this fight.

Cassian charges at me, his sword arcing towards my head. I duck and jump out of the way, avoiding the blade. We continue dancing around each other, neither of us gaining an advantage over the other, until I misjudge a move and Cassian's blade hits me in the head.

Stars swim in my vision as my head connects with the floor. I struggle to get air into my lungs. Cassian presses his blade against my chest. "Do you yield?"

Think, think. I know how to get out of this. He is baiting me, challenging me. I only have one shot to get this right. I hang my head, feigning submission. Cassian chuckles and lowers his blade a fraction of an inch. I lash out with my legs, tangling mine with his.

Cassian lets out a grunt of surprise as he crashes to the ground.

I leap to my feet and kick his blade away. I plant my foot on his chest and hold my practice sword to his neck. He struggles beneath me, but I press the blade in deeper. "Get it through your thick skull! You do not dictate how I live my life! I am not weak, Cassian. I will knock you on your ass over and over to prove it."

Cassian glares at me before a wide grin spreads across his face. I step off of him and he gets to his feet. "I'm glad you haven't forgotten."

I ignore him and storm off to where my mate is sitting in one of the chairs. I toss the practice blade off to the side. I want smash that grin off Cassian's face. Tamlin's voice comes through the bond, and I hear hesitation in his tone. Is he wary of me? Remind me never to piss you off. I'm afraid you would emasculate me in front of my entire Court.

I chuckle at him, my ire vanishing at the sight of Tamlin's brilliant smile. "You don't have to worry about that. I could take you down in seconds. With my eyes closed. No one would even know what had happened."

Tamlin laughs and wraps his arms around my waist as I stop in front of him. I lean down and plant a kiss on his lips. "I don't doubt it."

"Get a room you two!" Cassian calls from across the training ring. I give him a vulgar gesture.

"Shove off, you prick!" I snap. "You're just mad you aren't getting any action." I hear Azriel choke a laugh into a cough behind me. Tamlin shakes his head and grins. I shrug and perch myself on Tamlin's lap. I almost purr when he begins rubbing my back. "So are we still invited to dinner or is the offer moot since I kicked your ass?"

Cassian flashes me a wicked grin that I ignore. Jeez! Why am I so angry? "I don't know if I can count that as a win. Azriel might tell everyone that my student beat me, but you only did by playing dirty."