Chapter Six

Hanna

I hear Tamlin's roar as I vanish. My body is shaking with barely contained fury. How dare he! I'm so stupid thinking he can change! He's nothing but a beast. I feel his churning emotions through the bond, even with the shield between us. His grief... his rage. It leaves an emptiness in my chest, but I refuse to give into the urge to run to him. I'm going home, where I really belong.

As my thoughts turn to home, guilt hits me like a stone as I winnow away. It has been weeks since Rhys sent me south to check the human lands. The battles of the war still haunted me, and I had volunteered for the task to get away for a few days. I should have sent word that I was delayed. I run my hands over my face. Cauldron boil and fry me! What did that arrogant High Lord do to me?

In a rush of light and sea-scented wind, I appear in the air far above the City of Starlight. I can't help the smile that stretches across my face as I land on a small side street near the Rainbow. A walk through the streets is what I need. I tuck my wings in tightly and set off down the streets, drinking in the sights. The beauty of the city still steals my breath away. I take time admiring various wares in the shops to distract myself, but my dark thoughts keep creeping into the forefront of my mind.

When I can no longer ignore the anger rolling in my gut, I head to the House of Wind. Exercise usually allows me to focus. I launch myself into the sky. There is a training ring near the top, and I need to work off my energy before I destroy something. I reach the open windows of the training room and glide in quietly. The cool breeze blows through the massive open windows.

I breathe a sigh of relief when the room is empty. The last thing I need to deal with is Cassian's smartass comments. I draw my blade and slide into the smooth movements of my exercises and forms. The movements don't soothe the turbulent emotions rolling around inside me, but I feel them dull as I move. My mind focuses for the first time in hours. The sounds of footsteps and voices reach my ears, but I do not stop my exercises.

The male voices stop abruptly when they enter the room. I turn to see Cassian and Azriel standing in the doorway. I laugh when I see them both standing there, jaws hitting the floor. "Hello," I say. "You look like fish!"

Cassian studies me for a moment, head cocked to the side, before rubbing his eyes in mock surprise. "Hanna, isn't it?" Azriel rolls his eyes. "Where the hell have you been?"

I nod and finish the maneuver. Oh, a verbal sparring match with Cassian is exactly what I need right now! "Yes, I'm surprised you remember me in your advanced age, my lord." I dip into a mock bow. The memory of Tamlin bowing to me flashes through my mind. My lip curls at the thought."It's good to see you both."

Both males smile slightly, but I see the worry on their faces. It is Azriel that speaks this time. His voice is quiet, those intelligent eyes running over my body. "Where have you been, Hanna? It's been weeks since you went south and we thought you might have been dead."

I shrug and put a nonchalant smile on my face. "I had a run in with some nasty creatures. I got injured pretty badly. Nothing I couldn't handle, but it took... awhile for me to heal."

Azriel raises his eyebrow, as if he knows I am telling a half-truth. I am glad when Cassian steps forward, an eager grin on his face. The shadowsinger looks at me for another moment before going to sit down. "You look pissed... Need a sparring partner?"

I glare at Cassian. Insufferable males all around me today! This would help work off my temper before I do anything too stupid. I raise my blade again. "I've already knocked one person on their ass today, so I would love to do it again."

Cassian clicks his tongue before he flashes his famous cocky grin. "Didn't I ever teach you not to get a big head?"

"I usually learn by example." Azriel chokes on the beverage in his hand. Cassian gives me an exasperated look.