Chapter Four

Hanna

As our eyes lock, the realisation barrels through me. Something I never allowed myself to imagine... Allowed myself to dream.Tears spring to my eyes... Mine. Mine. Mine. Mate.

His eyes widen at my words. A bright smile spreads across his face as he moves to cup my face with his hand. The joy in his eyes brings him to life, where before he was muted. This is truly a High Lord. Bright and shining and heartbreakingly handsome. Tamlin hesitates slightly, but his finger lifts my chin. In an instant, he presses our lips together. His kiss obliterates everything I am. "You're my mate," he whispers, breathless.

The calluses on his fingers are rough against my face and heat floods through my body as his scent fills me. The feel of his skin drives every other thought from my mind. I go to rise and brush my nose against his jaw, but the pain from my back pulls me down to the bed. I let out a hiss of discomfort and slump back into the pillows. Cauldron boil me!

Tamlin's worry flashes in his eyes. I offer him a smile and a small shrug. "Damn those naga! I'll be back to normal in no time."

"I hope so. You're one hell of a fighter, Hanna.I hope I never have to cross blades with you." His voice washes over me like a warm wave. I curl my toes under the blanket and bask in his praise.

I flash him my cocky grin. "So are you, Tamlin. For a pampered, southern lord." I stick my tongue out at him. He laughs, and it is a glorious sound. My stomach emits an audible growl, and I push my good hand against it. Tamlin's grin widens at the sound. "Can I get something to eat? I'm not going to heal on an empty stomach."

"Of course, my lady." He gives me a mock bow and exits the room. I breathe a sigh of relief. I need a moment on my own to think, sort through my emotions. Despite the overwhelming joy at finding my mate, I am knee deep in shit, utter shit. Being indebted to an enemy High Lord is bad enough but... mates? Cauldron boil and fry me! I don't know how I'll ever be able to tell the others.

I know what Tamlin did to get our High Lady back. I've heard the reports from Azriel and Cassian. He locked her away, let her waste into nothing but a shadow. All of this and she wasn't even his mate. Is that what will happen to me? No! I won't let him lock me away. I'm strong enough to fight my way out.

I know all of this, yet his smile and his touch are not those of an evil male. I know I am supposed to hate him. I should hate him for all he's done. He helped our enemy, and many of the warriors in my legion died in those battles. His eyes hold many shadows, as if happiness has left him far behind. Leaving him like this... mate, stay. The word sings through my head, my heart, my very soul. I pull on the chord it leaves behind and I feel... him.

A roiling, churning sea of grief and rage and desperation courses through me, stealing my breath away. The tears fall onto my clenched fists. The marks of... Feyre and losing her still haunt him. Regret for what he did. The pain of losing his love, the loyalty of his people... All of it is still so fresh and raw. I feel as if I have walked into the home of someone dying. In a way, the High Lord of the Spring Court is dying. He is a shell of who he once was.

Mate, mate, mate... stay. Again, that word, that sensation, that beckoning into a soul deep bond. I know the bond can be rejected, but I cannot find in my heart to leave Tamlin, my mate, here to live while his grief and anger eat him alive. I know how much letting me fight injured bothered him, the conflict that had slipped across his face. He is trying to better himself, I hope. He deserves a chance at happiness... And redemption. I hope. He has lost himself to the darkness. Maybe he just needs someone to lead him back to the light.

Tamlin opens the door with his magic. I quickly wipe my eyes. Bearing a tray laden with soup and hearty bread and fresh fruit, he sets it on the table next to the bed before taking his seat next to me. He smiles at me, some of the shadows gone from his eyes. My heart aches at the sight of this handsome male. My fingers and lips long to explore his body. Mate, mate, mate, mate!

"I felt your tug, Hanna. I hurried after that. I don't want you to fade away from hunger." He gives me a saucy wink. Good. He doesn't know I pity him.

I grin sheepishly and pat my stomach. "Well, there isn't much to fade away right now."

Tamlin studies me, his eyes moving along my body. The thin blanket may cover the details of my body, but it does nothing to hide the shape of my curves. Even as battered as I am, his gaze sends tendrils of warmth down my body. Damn those naga! Despite my reservations, some animalistic part of me craves to have him touch me, possess me. I internally roll my eyes. That would be the mating bond.

Tamlin lays a bowl of soup in my lap. Vegetables float merrily in the dark broth and a rich, earthy aroma reaches my nose. "Thank you."

My mate watches me carefully until I spoon the soup into my mouth. The flavors dance along my tongue. Hunger gets the better of me. Besides, I doubt he cares if I look like a savage or not. I set the spoon down and drink from the bowl instead. The pile of fruit vanishes quickly after the soup, and I consume half of the bread before laying the rest on the tray. Tamlin continues to watch me, his gaze hungry.

I stare right back at him and ask, "What?"

His cheeks redden. He shrugs. "Can't I just look at you?"

I laugh and stick my tongue out at him. "I'd prefer you save the ogling for after I'm out of these bandages. I mean, I know I'm gorgeous now, but I can be even prettier when I'm all healed and cleaned up. Besides, I'm sure I smell bad."

His answering smile makes my heart skip a beat. There is hunger in his eyes, a primal hunger, that makes my breathing hitch. I want him to own me, to make me his. I shake my head and push those thoughts into a deep hole where they can't bother me. I must remember that he cannot be trusted yet, mate or not. He closes the distance between us, our faces inches apart. I swear my heart skips a few beats this time. I wonder if he can hear it. "Hanna?"

My voice is breathless as his scent washes over me. "Tamlin."

"You're beautiful no matter how rough you look." Before I can answer, Tamlin presses a kiss to my forehead. The feel of his lips is like a match to kindling. Desire rushes through me, and my body moves before I can contain myself.

My good arm reaches up to clench his hair in my fist. I pull him closer and mouths come together, and I forget who I am. He loses his balance and lands on top of me, his warm weight crushing me into the bed. I ignore the pain lancing through my back as I taste him. Beast and sunshine and spring. He tries to pull away, but I refuse to let go. His scent wraps around me even more, and my tongue presses against his lips, begging for entrance. He breathes in sharply, opening his mouth slightly. My tongue dances with his as his arms wrap around me.

His embrace is warm and sturdy, and being in his arms feels so right. I drink in his scent as he presses me closer to him, and it is intoxicating. My soul cries to be bound to his soul the way our bodies are joined together. When he tightens his embrace farther, pain cuts through my back, and an involuntary gasp escapes my lips. The realization of what is happening barrels into me. I push him away, and Tamlin releases me at once. I am left feeling hollow and hungry. My breathing comes in ragged gasps.

Tamlin brushes his hand through his hair, pushing stray locks from his face. I cannot read his expression. His hand strokes my cheek. He keeps his voice soft as he says, "Hanna, you need to rest. There will be plenty of time for us to get to know each other after you're healed."

I sigh and lean into the hand resting on my cheek. His warmth lingers on my skin after he slowly removes his hand.

Tamlin smiles at me as he leaves the room. I want to ask him to stay, but my head is spinning with so much emotion and desire that I need space. "I'll be back soon, Hanna."

The door shuts quietly, and I am left with nothing but the birds and my thoughts for company. As if I could sleep feeling like this. What a fine mess I've gotten myself into! I have to leave. I can't stay here, not with him. He is my enemy, mate or not. My loyalty belongs to the Night Court and My High Lord and Lady, and that is where I belong.

Weariness creeps up on me, and I finally fall into a light sleep with the sounds of spring birds singing in my ears.