Chapter Five

Tamlin

I catch myself gazing out to the garden again. I shake my head, but I can't clear the stray thoughts. The past few weeks have been... good. Almost too go to be true. Hanna sleeps in her own room still, but we spend every waking moment together. Talking, laughing, training, and... bonding. I can't consider her my enemy any longer. She has become so more than my friend, but I cannot force my feelings on her. Every time our eyes meet, it steals my breath away from me.

The usual nightmares no longer plague me. I feel our mating bond like a balm to the darkness living beneath my skin. Hanna allows me to think around the churning emotions, to focus on the brightness of life.

Through the study window, I turn to watch her in the garden, stretching her muscles and running through her exercises, swinging her lethal Illyrian blade as if it weighs nothing. Her muscles ripple beneath her usual attire of fighting leathers. Whoever trained my mate did a fine job. Her movements are graceful, swift, and lethal.

As I watch her, it hits me again that she is a commander in Rhysand's army. She has a place in his court. Despite our hours of conversation, she never mentions the members of the court apart from the females in her legion.

She has to return sometime, you know. I push the thoughts away. Dwelling on the fact Hanna will fly back north one day is enough to send me into a dark place. Her heart belongs in the City of Starlight, and her loyalty belongs to the High Lord of the Night Court. My heart cracks a little when I realize she will never truly be mine.

Her injuries healed quickly, thank the Cauldron. The way the sun shines from her hair and wings mesmerizes me. My fingers itch to stroke her silken locks. However, since the morning we had our first kiss, we have only shared friendly touches. The occasional brush of bodies while we spar together or a hesitant touch of an out of place hair. The effort not to explore every inch of her body eats at my self-control, especially when she gives me that damned cocky grin.

I glance down at the piles of paperwork on my desk and heave a heavy sigh. I won't finish it at this rate. The breeze drifting in through the open window calls to me, beckoning me outside. I stand and push the papers aside. I walk to the glass doors and continue to watch her for a moment.

She finishes her forms and launches herself into the sky with a whoop of pure joy. I pull on the bond, and her joy fills me. Such pure, glowing ecstasy. It has been so long since I have felt such happiness and freedom. My power ripples underneath my skin, longing to transform into wings, to dance through the skies with her. A short tug answers me and Hanna lands in front of the doors. I pull them open for her. "I thought you were working."

"It's too beautiful to spend all day locked inside. I was wondering if you... could help me with something."

A flicker of surprise flashes in her eyes before she flashes me a bright smile.She lowers her body into a mock bow. "Of course, my lord. What can this lowly Illyrian do for you?"

I roll my eyes at her. "I want to fly with you."

I have caught her by surprise. Her mouth hangs open. "R-really? How can you?"

I give her a confident smirk of my own. "I'm a High Lord, remember? I can shape-shift. I need you to help me though. I don't know how the wings are supposed to...be."

Her face brightens. She turns her back to me and stretches her wings out for me to examine. "Go ahead and look. I'll help you tweak. Don't forget the muscles in your back and core support their weight."

The weight of her trust hits me in the gut. This is what I have been hoping for for weeks. I reach a single finger towards the delicate membrane. "You're giving me permission to touch your wings? Are you sure?"