1

Onika's POV
May 1, 2000
Miami, Florida
8:56AM

Message: Struggles, a word that one can relate to, fear, a word one may live by, love, a word unknown to one's heart, money....something that's hard to come by....
~Bodakrella
___________________

Cleaning pools hadn't been my plan as a teenage girl graduating from high school. Having a daughter at the age of 16 without a father figure hadn't been in the picture either. Having no money what so ever, being broke without options was just the beginning of my nightmares to come. I made a decision, a decision to clean pools for little money. I could have turned to stripping, earning hundreds of dollars in one night, but I wouldn't allow myself to teach my daughter it's okay for women to exploit themselves if money ever became an issue. I wanted to set an example for her. Nia being 5 and all hadn't really gotten a chance to live the childhood any normal child would be able to. I lived with my grandmother and became very dependent on her social security to put food on the table and clothes on our back, that should be enough said about my life.

"Onika darling, are you daydreaming again?" Jessica, the owner of this rich establishment, the person who's pool I clean every weekend that passed spoke.

I looked over at her. She stood clad in her workout clothing. Jessica had only been 23 but lived as if she'd been working all her life and it paid off well.

"No ma'am, I was just thinking." I said grabbing hold of my tools to clean the pool.

"Oh ok. Just remember what I said, daydreaming gets you no where if you don't put it in action." She wink and walked her skinny ass in her three story mansion. I huffed standing beside the pool holding onto the net that gets the leaves out of the pool. I knew she always meant well but she would never understand my struggles.

"What am I doing with my life?" I ask myself aloud

*

Once I'm finished with her pool I walk in to collect the little money I made.

"80 dollars, correct?" She asked pulling out her checkbook. I nod as she's writing out the check and I look over her outfit.

"Going someplace fancy tonight? Must be nice." I said. She looks up, capping her pen and rips out the check.

"As a matter of fact, I'm throwing a party for one of my coworkers in the law firm. She just got a promotion and I wanted to congratulate her." Jessica smiled. I nodded as I knew what I was going to do tonight, or at least try.

"Thank you, and I hope you have a wonderful time." I smiled pocketing the check. She nodded and I turned to walk away.

"Onika." She called after me. I turned to look at her. A small smile appears on her face as she begins to speak.