§ coffeeshop §

Have you ever seen a smile so bright that can grow thousands of sunflowers?

I, Min Yoongi, somehow happened to be one of them, the "sunflowers."

__________

Working and exhaustion have always been such a great match, and I could have stayed positive until the end of the year if they take a step away from each other. 

"Your work makes your dream soar", I got an earful of it ever since I was a toddler. Well, being a student of the music academy sounded great at the beginning of the year too.

I grow up playing piano, reading music notes instead of the alphabet. My goals in life defined themselves like so, as if I was all set up. Graduation, a pass ticket to the academy, I am now a music producer. 

I've always considered making music a virtue, but why forcing me to consider it an obligation now? I might be a bit stupid to stick to the system anyway, but still, I am not a caveman, ignorant of the outer world, and who lets others freely step on. I do my music, and I never refuse collaboration. Unfortunately, "respect" and "good cooperation" don't happen to be understood by some... I guess it was too harsh of a demand in my workplace. 

At times like this, I would quit my study to go out and have a coffee. The weather is getting colder and colder as Christmas is coming. On the street, people already have their body covered in fluffy, comfortable parka, knit scarf and gloves; some cheerful songs are playing, decorations are also on point. 

A great time to feel happy.

I became a regular at a small coffeeshop near the music academy. I like its vibe. It is painted with black wooden color on the outside, adorned with glass windows and some small (even tiny) flower pots - it looks like a perfect dating place; and the inside can not get any better, with grey smoke blowing out of the coffee roasters, gently touching the ceiling and brown walls. Other furniture has a clean white-beige color. Some plants are put here and there, lo-fi music are always on, just in case of awkward blankness between conversations - I guess. 

In this coffeeshop, there are two things that amaze me everytime.

First, the smell of roasted coffee beans. Have I mentioned my big appreciation for coffee? I tasted  every coffee drinks in this store, both hot and cold. You know, normally, cafés have their own specialty, they have a drink that stands out. It's not the case here, it's crazy how everything tastes good here. I can't go anywhere else to get my morning-afternoon-evening coffee, I'd feel like a traitor if I taste coffee elsewhere and not here.

Second, and actually most importantly, the coffeemaker - the owner of the store.
I remember the first time I've found myself in this place. It rained heavily outside and I forgot to bring back my umbrella from the workplace; so with the un-sexiest wet look from head to toe, I stepped inside the store. I looked around and sat in the most discreet corner, with kinder regards to the wooden chair than to myself, as I untied the pillow on top of it. A waiter came and asked for my order, but being in all distress, I just carelessly replied "whatever", with a "please" that followed a second later.

Luckily, he didn't make any remark nor show any disagreeable attitude.

The conversation with the polite waiter ended there, and I came back to my own tired mind,  trying to ignore the uncomfortable dampness that was sticking to my skin. I was even thinking about giving it all up and just run to my house under the rain. I was soaking wet anyway.
Then I felt the wonderful scent of coffee touching my nostrils. I turned my head and what the hell.
A black-haired young man wearing a light brown apron and round glasses was standing behind the blurry white smoke. He looked young, his lovely rose cheekbones contrasted with his well-built figure. Come to think of it, I must have looked more dumb than damp at that moment, but every moves of his were, to me, mesmerizing. His skilled hands with long, thin fingers making coffee, preparing it with an utmost delicacy.

How many seconds have flown before I looked away? How long has it lasted until the man himself came close and smiled to me, brightly, with an amiable "hope you enjoy it" bow? That was it. I don't remember saying thanks."It's Cappuccino", he said before going. I took a sip of my coffee with trembling hands. That was it. What was that? 

But he came again and this time with a light blanket, handing it to me. I almost spat his coffee.

"You might catch a cold, have this", he said, his voice sounded like wind chimes.
I gave him a small bow, this time muttered a "thank you", and immediately realized that something was slowly growing. That something didn't stop growing, even until now.

"I uh... I modified the recipe this time. I hope it would warm you up", he continued, pulling the chair on the opposite to sit in front of me. I was a bit - and by a bit I mean a lot - taken aback, but my body didn't have the chance to tense up as I took another sip. 

That cappuccino was an incredible ice-breaker. Does he often make special drinks for other customers? I forgot to ask. Coffee, a slight touch of ginger, cinnamon scent, oat milk. It was perfect. 

"You don't mind me staying here for a moment?", the man asked. 

"Well, wouldn't it be a bit weird if the barista is not in his shop?", yes, I tried.

And so our conversation started before the rain stopped. 

___

"I'm Jung Hoseok. Very nice to meet you!"

I got home thinking about the smoky, fine-flavored cup of cappuccino that I got to taste, but god damn what is Hoseok so loud for?