Just at hearing Natalie's name, I feel an ache in my chest. "What about her?" I snap.

"I recently learned more details about her death. But I suppose, as you seem so close with her daughter, that you already know that Natalie died in childbirth after one of Marcus's beatings this past January."

I recoil as I realize what Evelyn is trying to imply and I take a step back from her. Obviously she means Natty; her birthday is January 15. My mind immediately settles on how absurd the thought is that Tris would lie to everyone about something so important. Of course Tris is Natty's mother, anyone who sees them would know it. For a moment I wonder if Evelyn is having some kind of mental breakdown. "You're deranged, Evelyn," I growl. "Tris-- Beatrice-- is the baby's mother. You're wrong. Natalie was never pregnant. Natalie and Marcus decided together that they didn't want any more children. She told Tris a few months into the marriage."

"Mistakes are sometimes made, Tobias." The satisfied smirk on my mother's face makes me uneasy, but then I remember who I'm dealing with: a woman who allowed her only child to believe she was dead while abandoning him to a monster. If she thinks I will trust her over Tris, she's got another thing coming.

I cross my arms over my chest. I have to bite my lip to keep from laughing at Evelyn, how could she possibly forget that her former husband doesn't make mistakes. I decide it is not even worth throwing Marcus in her face. I just want to get out of here and away from Evelyn's ridiculous notions. "That may be, Evelyn, but that baby is Tris's. She and her child are Dauntless now, with me."

"So the baby is at Dauntless. And the supposed father?"

"Dead."

"How convenient," Evelyn quips. I glare.

"You lied to me for most of my life, Evelyn," I say in a deadly calm, quiet voice. "And you're lying now, too. You can't seriously expect me to believe a single word you say."

Evelyn flinches at my words; she knows I'm right, she has given me every reason to doubt her. Still, she has always seemed to believe that just because she is my flesh and blood, and because she, too, suffered my father's wrath-- probably for even longer than I did-- that her word should actually mean something to me. Just like when she tells me she loves me. I know with certainty that I could never abandon Natty to that sort of torture, even if Tris and I were to part ways. It wouldn't matter how badly things might end between us, I love that little girl and would do anything to protect her. So how can I believe that my mother loves me?

"I can see that you still have not forgiven me and don't trust me," Evelyn says sadly, hurt evident on her face. "I suppose you still need me to prove my intentions and honesty." She walks to the door of the room and speaks to someone outside in a dull murmur; I can't make out the words. I decide to sit, my stubbornness giving way to the fatigue I still feel from too little sleep, and the chair creaks beneath me.

Evelyn sits across from me, in the other chair. "Natalie never wanted the child to be within Marcus's reach, so she made arrangements," Evelyn begins to explain, "which involved several of my people. I understand that you don't trust me, so I have called a witness to join us. She will be here momentarily."

"A witness?" What the hell is she talking about? I know that Tris is Natty's mother, I don't care who Evelyn has convinced to play along with this story.

"Yes, the--" Evelyn begins, but she is interrupted by a knock at the door. She rises and opens the door, and the so-called witness enters the room. I stare at her skeptically; the woman Evelyn has summoned is a thin, serious looking woman with gray hair pulled into a tight bun and a crease between her eyebrows, but I see kindness in her eyes.

Deceptions & Secretsजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें