Chapter Five

Percy Jackson

            What was happening with his life?

            He was currently in front of Canoe Lake, completely dumbfounded, at the sentence his girlfriend—or used to be girlfriend now—just said to him. Despite having so much fun and finally getting Nico to open up to him earlier that day, he kind of wished this day never arrived. Well, if it didn’t, Nico would still be the cold-hearted bastard Percy never wanted him to be. But, he would still be together with Annabeth. Agh! What did Percy want in his life?!

            Make up your mind! Percy’s mind screamed at him.

            I’m trying! Percy yelled back.

            You’re not trying hard enough! His mind retorted. More willpower! Do I have to play “#thatPower” by Will.I.Am for you now?!

            Please don’t! Anything but that! Percy pleaded.

            Then put more willpower into it! Try harder!

            Percy’s mind blanked out. Wait, what are we even arguing about?

            His mind didn’t respond. It was probably tired of how stupid Percy could be. Percy could understand that, unfortunately. Either that or his mind didn’t know what they were arguing about either, but it didn’t want to admit it. Wait, why was Percy even having a conversation with his mind anyway?

            “Percy?”

            Percy snapped out of his thoughts and got sucked back into reality, which was also unfortunate. He stared at Annabeth, still completely dumbfounded.

            “I’m sorry, but, what?” Percy asked, unsure if he even heard right, or if his ears were just playing with him.

            Annabeth sighed, sadness filling her eyes. She wrapped her arms around herself, grasping the sides of her shirt like she needed to throw up. She looked more sad than sick, though.

            “I—” Annabeth’s voice cracked. Percy immediately regretted asking Annabeth to repeat herself. A tear rolled down her cheek. “I’m breaking up…with you,” She choked back a sob, “Percy.” She bit down on her lip, restraining herself from letting any more tears stream down.

            “A—Annabeth,” Percy hesitantly wiped the tear away with his thumb, unsure if Annabeth would smack his hand away or not. She didn’t, which Percy was glad of. He didn’t know if Annabeth didn’t smack his hand away just because she didn’t want to hurt his feelings or not. Well, she kind of already did.

            “I—I’m s—sorry, Percy,” She managed to stutter, more tears streaming down. Percy couldn’t wipe all of them away, and he was too dumbfounded to use his powers to will them away. Plus, they would just come back.

            “But…why?” Percy stepped closer, resting a hand on her cheek. He wiped away all the tears that streamed down the left side of her face with the hand that currently caressed it.

            Annabeth chewed on her lip. “It’s…it’s c—compli—complicated.” Annabeth was practically crying now.

            “Why?” Percy demanded. His sadness and his sympathy were soon morphing into anger.

            “I don’t—I don’t want to talk,” She sniffled, “about it.”

            “Do you really expect me to figure it out myself? I’m not smart, Annabeth, I’ll tell you that now. We were doing fine. Why would you just…?” Percy didn’t even want to consider the other possibility he was thinking of.