you walked over, makino unsuccessfully trying to stop you by holding your arm, that you easily ripped away from her hold.

"no, it seems you don't know what i am."

you lifted your sword, the long metal shown to them and their eyes widened when they saw the little emblem that was imprinted at the very start of the sword, near the hilt. you noticed their tense shoulders, seeing them suddenly backing away.

"i'm glad that you recognize it, therefore i don't need to use it, right boys?"

they all scurried away, thinking of how you could possibly obtain that sword. it was supposed to be resting at the side of someone else, someone much stronger than some random village girl. when there was no one left in the bar than the ones that were just trying to enjoy a drink and the locals, you turned to makino with a smile.

"there? all better now, if they ever start acting up again, send luffy down here. he has to work on his intimidating face anyway!" you both laughed at the subtle insult sent the rubber man's way. it soon died down however when makino finally took notice of your small backpack.

"you better stay safe, okay? i can't have you dying or anything stupid like that! there are so many dangers out there, you understand that, right?"

you chuckled at her worried tone before turning the situation to a more lighthearted one, "of course, i know. i'll be sure to be as safe as i can living as a pirate."

she smiled softly, hugging you tightly before you let go.

"well, i think there is a raggedy old boat waiting for me at the port," she nodded and fixed your hair before saying her goodbye, no longer tearful. her eyes only filled with hope and admiration, someone so young and strong as you setting sail was inspirational for not only luffy, but to her as well. you're going to live such freedom, adventure-filled life, and she admired your bravery to even step foot off this island.

you stepped onto the old wooden boat, smiling to yourself as you sat down and took the wooden oars out. you started rowing, the little town almost being out of sight before the sight of a dust cloud came into your line of sight. you chuckled silently, seeing that it was your friend.

"Y/N!! WAIT FOR ME!!"

the signature straw hat on his head almost fell off due to his excitement of seeing you off. you couldn't help but hold your hand over your mouth to stop the laughter from escaping past your lips.

"OF COURSE!!" you shouted back, being able to hear his laugh from where your boat floated in the sea. "GET STRONGER TOO!"

he gave you a thumbs up that you could barely decipher and so you continued rowing on, knowing that your future captain was going to keep his word and become the pirate king someday.

---2 YEARS LATER---

you sat at a local bar of the island you were stopping over on, popping a chewed up piece of bubble gum as you read the newspaper. a few months ago you remember reading an article with your old friend's name in it, causing you to be more than happy for him. he got himself quite a high bounty, but there wasn't any other release of news about him, his crew, or his current state, so you could assume, that he's been laying low for quite a bit.

however, as you were slightly daydreaming, you didn't notice the look of a certain someone that wasn't all too far away from you. his three swords stood out to anyone looking, but not nearly as much as his bright green hair. people couldn't stop staring at either of you two because they recognized the relationship.

a bounty hunter was staring at someone across the bar with a very high bounty.

the bar was filled with a dangerous aura and it got even tenser when he stood up and made his way towards you.