xiii. horrible advice

"i'm so tired!" wendy sighed, pulling a bucket of meat out of steve's trunk.
"i can drive you home, wen. if you want." steve looked at her.

"no, i'm not leaving you guys to do this by yourselves." wendy shook her head.
dustin henderson heard lucas over his headset. dustin walked off, answering lucas's call.

"so where's your boyfriend?" steve asked, curious.
"i don't know. he seems to have fallen off of the face of the earth." wendy said. steve looked at his best friend, knowing that she deserved so much better than billy.

"does he treat you right?" steve asked.
"what?" wendy asked, looking at steve with furrowed eyebrows.

steve stuffed his bat in a backpack, shaking his head.
"nevermind. all right, let's go." steve said, shutting his trunk.

"just be there stat, over and out." dustin said through his headset.

the three started to walk through the woods.

|||

"all right, so let me get this straight. you kept something you knew was probably dangerous in order to impress a girl who...who you just met?" steve asked as the three dropped balls of meat onto the train track.

"alright, that's grossly oversimplifying things." dustin stated, glancing back at steve.

"i mean, why would a girl like some nasty slug anyway?" steve asked.

wendy dropped the meat, wondering if dustin was talking anout max. she knew that it couldn't be susie because they had been friends for a couple of years.

"an interdiminsional slug? because its awesome." dustin defended.

"well, even if she thought it was cool, which she didn't, i...i just, i don't know i feel like you're trying too hard." steve commented.

"well not everyone can have your perfect hair, all right?" dustin scoffed.

wendy laughed, causing steve to look at her.
"it is pretty perfect, huh?" wendy teased.

steve rolled his eyes at her, and looked back at dustin.
"it's not about the hair, man. the key with girls is just...just acting like you don't care." steve responded.

"that is not true! don't listen to him, dustin." wendy shook her head.
"um, all in middle school, i acted like i didn't care about you and who confessed their feelings at the snowball?" steve asked.

"oh, screw you, steve!" wendy flicked off steve.
"woah! you liked steve?!" dustin looked at wendy carmichael.

"that was a long time ago. now i have a boyfriend." wendy smiled, thinking about billy.
"a piece of shit boyfriend, if you ask me." steve scoffed.

he hated how billy had wendy wrapped around his finger.
"wow that's crazy because i don't remember asking you, asshole." wendy rolled her eyes at steve.

"so, back to the point, you act like you don't care even if you do?" dustin asked.
"yeah, exactly. it drives them nuts." steve said.

the teenagers continued to drop the meat along the traintracks as they resumed their conversation.
"then what?" dustin asked.

"you just wait until, uh, until you feel it." steve said, looking back at wendy, whom was busy scattering the meat along the traintracks.

"feel what?" dustin asked, confused.
"it's like before it's gonna storm, you know?" steve looked at dustin.

"you can't see it but you can feel it, like this, uh, electricity, you know?" steve questioned.

wendy began to walk closer to the boys, trying to listen to the god awful advice that steve was giving dustin.

"oh, like in the electromagnetic field when the clouds in the atmosphere—" dustin began.
"no, no, no, no, no. like a...like a sexual electricity." steve stated.

"steve!" wendy snapped, walking in between the two.
"what? he's like what...13? he should know this stuff." steve said.

"dustin, just tell her how you feel. she'll love it if you're just honest with her!" wendy looked at dustin.

"bullshit, wendy. when was the last time a guy told you directly how he feels?" steve asked.
"billy did." wendy stated, matter-of-factly.
"stop lying!" steve shook his head.

"he did, actually. on our first date, he told me how he felt about me and how he doesn't like you being around me." wendy stated.

"your boyfriend is jealous of me?" steve scoffed.
"no! why woul—" wendy's defense was interrupted by dustin.

"hey, lovebirds, a little more meat trails and a little less talking." dustin commented, leaving steve and wendy with red tinted cheeks.