v. a second chance

"thank you for bringing us to school." wendy smiled at steve. he nodded, and looked back at susie.
"can you give me and your sister a minute to talk?" he asked.

susie nodded and got out of steve harrington's car. the youngest carmichael walked off towards her school.
"what's up?" wendy asked, looking at steve.

"i, uh, i don't even know how to start this. the other night at the party, nancy got wasted a-and i spilled my drink all over her outfit and one thing lead to another and basically, she thinks that our entire relationship was bullshit." steve said.

"what? she said that?" wendy asked, feigning disbelief. wendy was aware that nancy wheeler had a stronger connection with jonathan byers than she had with steve.
"yes! and then jonathan took her home. like jonathan? seriously? i can't believe she thinks that our relationship was fake." steve ranted to his best friend.

wendy sighed, reaching out to place her hand on steve's shoulder.
"what am i going to do, wendy?" steve asked, removing wendy's hand from his shoulder and intertwining his fingers with her's.

"surely she didn't mean it, steve. she was drunk." wendy stated, giving steve's hand a light squeeze. steve looked down at their intertwined fingers, then he furrowed his eyebrows.

"what happened?" steve asked, holding up their hands to reveal a bruise on wendy's wrist.
"nothing big. i just hit it against the counter at home." wendy lied, shrugging.

steve looked at wendy and back down at her wrist. he knew that she was lying, but he didn't want her to feel obligated to tell him.

steve let go of her hand, and turned off the engine of his car.
"come on, let's go before we're late." he said.
wendy carmichael got out of steve's car and mentally cursed herself for not wearing a long sleeved shirt.

across the parking lot, billy hargrove watched wendy as she walked with steve harrington. he flicked his cigarette to the ground and walked after wendy.
"remember that you're supposed to be at my practice later. alright?" steve questioned as he began to walk away from wendy.

"okay, i'll be there." wendy smiled, beginning to unlock her locker.

billy leaned up against the locker next to her's.
wendy's hazel eyes traveled to him, causing her to roll her eyes.
"go away, billy." she muttered.

billy sighed, trying to think of something to say to apologize. then he thought, why would he apologize?
"why were you with harrington?" billy asked harshly.

wendy glared at billy, slamming her locker shut.
"he's my friend, and you are in no place to ask that. you aren't my boyfriend. hell, you're not even my friend. to think that i believed that you were changing." wendy scoffed, muttering the last part under her breath.

as she began to walk away, billy grabbed a hold of her arm. if he was going to try and win her over, he had to apologize.
"wendy, things got out of hand yesterday. i shouldn't have grabbed you like that. i-i'm sorry." billy's mesmerizing blue eyes gazed into wendy's. he had never truly said 'i'm sorry' and partially meant it before in his life.

she bit her lip, not wanting to forgive him. there was no excuse for how her treated her. but there was something that she saw in him.

maybe i can change him for the better, she thought.

wendy sighed, and looked down towards the ground.
"one more chance, and that's it, billy." wendy glanced back up at him.

a smirk found its way onto billy's face.
"i'll make it up to you. promise." billy winked, and left wendy carmichael standing in the middle of the hallway.

as she watched billy hargrove walk away, wendy carmichael wondered to herself,
"what am i getting myself into?"

I LOVE ONE (1) BROTP
+ basically, neither wendy nor billy know that they really like each other yet.
billy just sees wendy as a fling whereas wendy thinks that she can change billy and make him a good guy