prologue

in·san·i·ty

/inˈsanədē/
noun

doing the same thing over and over, expecting things to change.

    i scoffed at the thought of anything, really. it was dumb, everything was dumb. my mind wasn't attached to me anymore. but when i looked into his eyes, i swear. i fell into a big, deep hole of...something. something i hadn't searched for in my life. something i didn't want to know. something that was lethally attractive. it was amazing, for a split second. but then i hated it. i really hated it. he was a beautiful bomb.

    it wasn't fair. none of this was. i ran to him when i needed to run away from him. i crawled my way back each and everyday. but is it bad to say i loved it? that i loved him? is it bad to say that the hurt was all worth it? probably not. but it felt amazing for at least a few seconds.

    it was too crowded to even think straight. and the alcohol that circulated into my nostrils almost hit me like a bullet. it was so sudden. i hated this and gabbie knew that. but i couldn't just leave her alone when she's so drunk to the point where she can't stand on her own two feet. so of course, like always i sat down on the couch and enjoyed the show of fights and drunken idiots.

    a person randomly sat beside me and i scooted myself over to give the guy more room. i looked at him for a moment and studied his facial structure. he wore a black hat that covered his eyes and the bridge of his nose, but i could see his sharp jawline and how puffy his cheeks were. i think he could tell i was staring because he turned to look at me. i sat there frozen as he softly smiled at me and locked his eyes in mine. everything was frozen. the people who shouted as they chugged whatever they were drinking, suddenly was muted. the bodies of dancing strangers were solid as they stayed in the position they needed to escape from. it was like a movie. it didn't feel real.

    i snapped back into reality as he softly coughed, trying to release himself from this trance. thankfully it snapped me out of it too.

    "hi," he began and smiled at me again. "my name's david." he held out his hand for me to shake and i grasped onto it. the only think rushing into me was electricity. no oxygen, for that has quickly dispersed out of my lungs when i saw him. no blood, but it only stayed in my cheeks and boiled over for the whole world to see as i blushed. and no heartbeat, for that has stopped working when he smiled at me. it was something different.

    "elizabeth," i held on tight to his hand, as both of our hands shook up and down in a swift motion. "but i go by liza." i assured as he nodded his and we both let go.

    "that's a beautiful name, liza." he said and smiled, once again. i blushed and nodded while pushing a strand of hair behind my ear.

    "thank you," i whispered.

    "no problem. but i'm just curious, what's a pretty girl like you doing at a party alone?" this david guy surely had a way with words, didn't he?

    "well--uh, my best friend, gabbie, needs a designated driver. but i don't think so anymore," i look ahead of me as gabbie basically shoves her tongue down some guys throat. he laughes which only makes me giggle along.

    "looks like we already know what she's eating for dessert," he comments and i laugh harder. he smiles and stares at me as i laugh too loud for too long.

    i stop laughing and blush, noticing him staring at me for a long time.

    i giggle and ask, "what?" he shrugs.

    "nothing," he says. "you're just really beautiful."

    and of course, i smile. but it only grows wider when he smiles. his smile was so contagious. it was like a cold. but it was so beautiful. he was so beautiful. after a while i eventually got his number and we both walked outside. besides the loud music that was shaking the walls of the house from even outside, it was peaceful. i stopped myself from walking and stared at the moon. david noticed this as he realized i was no longer walking beside him.

    "what's the hold up?" he questioned.

    "it's so beautiful," i said as i pointed up at the stars. "look!"

    he looked up and smiled.

    "it is," he said and i nodded my head. "but you're more beautiful."

    i looked away from the night sky and all of my focus was on him. i was frozen, yet again. i saw something, however. it was a sparkle. a little light flashed in his eyes as he looked back at me. it twinkled against the moon as i saw the refelction of me in his deep, brown eyes. i didn't care if i was the reason why they twinkled. all i cared about was this moment, and the way they sparkled. it was the only thing that mattered to me.

     that was the moment my life was ruined.