orange is for office

roller skating was just fine. reylynn ended up coming out onto the rink to watch over everyone, but jack stayed behind the counter. i had let my hopes rise after, thinking he could be there when we turned our skates in or even come out to check on the skaters.

instead, a boy around his size named christopher came out after reylynn's estimated hour. he seemed to know reylynn because of their exchange of conversation when switching positions. i wondered if he knew jack, too. i bet he did. duh. he works with him, especially in the same hours.

i'm not sure if he saw me coming or not, but he wasn't there. no one was there to put our skates back. we just left them on the counter after putting our street shoes on and exited the building.

my friends chattered amongst themselves as i let myself linger. they were debating where to grab lunch and how to get there. i sighed to myself, only gaten hearing my amplified exhale. he slowed his pace to walk next to me.

i stared at our matching walking patterns on the dirty concrete. "what's up finn?" he asked.

i pursued my lips together. "i saw him."

he gasped, a look of shook plastered on his face. "him? as in your soulmate?" i nodded, gaten continuing, "so, can you see the world in all its real glory? was it exciting?"

i sighed again. "that's the thing. we didn't talk. he was the boy that was giving the girl at the counter our sizes of skates for us. when we made eye contact, he just kind of quickly headed out to the back in the room for workers. i didn't see him the rest of the time, or else i would have spoken to him to see color."

"so everything is still bland, black and white?"

"actually, not entirely," i began, "i saw something. the wheels on my skates were a color. later i noticed some advertisements spread on the rink walls and details on clothing and on phones that had the same color."

"the wheels on your skates?"

"yeah, they weren't black or white."

"they were red."

"red? what's that?"

"it's a color, silly," sadie piped in.

"watcha talkin about?" millie also interrupted, walking in front of gaten and i with sadie.

i sighed for the third time, mumbling, "nothing." gaten shook his head and told them what happened at the recreational activity.

noah's face lit up at the news. "maybe we can help track him tomorrow!" he suggested.

caleb nodded. "that's not a bad idea. we could come back here and one of us could ask him for help."

"i would, but i have to go to my dad's office to help out with computers. sorry, maybe the day after?" i let myself sigh in my head because i had sighed far too many times already.

they all nodded, and pestered me about a few other things that connected to it before leaving me be.

🌷🧡🌷

the next day was saturday, and i was heading to meet my dad at his office to help with some problems on his level's computers.

i parked a little off, but i was too indolent and sluggish to fix it. i took my keys and phone and slid them into my jeans, watching my vans pat the floor.

i looked at the flowers in pots and soil that started appearing in the front of the building. i took out my iphone and began to play with the focus.

i would hold down on a tulip, and the rest of the background would blur. i tried different angles, one even getting a person in the back. i opened up the picture to see a familiar face.

i looked up and made eye contact with the roller rink worker. his subdued eyes flashed with a look of horror and suprise, moreover, he began to lengthen his strides into the parking lot.

i sighed, and groaned after my repetition. i kept the picture, yet i looked a little closer at it. another color had popped up into detail. i looked up from my iphone to see many flowers suddenly were full of emotion. i couldn't describe it. it was lively, vibrant, full of life, radiant, vivid and lively.

don't be a silent reader. tell me what you think!!

—  —  — —  —  — —  —  — —  —  — —  —  — — —

{🌷🧡🌷} : orange tulips