Mastermind.

"You know who the mastermind is?.." Kokichi stuttered, "For sure?" 

Shuichi nodded his head then looked down at the floor and started fidgeting. 

"Well who is it then?" Kokichi asked impatiently.

"It's uhh—Tsumugi.." Shuichi replied anxiously. 

Kokichi was caught out. Tsumugi? She was always so quiet and reserved, not making close friends or enemies... It really was her. It all made sense, she was watching them from the sidelines and calculating her next moves. "What are we going to do now?" Kokichi asked.

"I uh-don't know.." Shuichi spoke gently. 

Kokichi hugged Shuichi tightly just in case something were to happen to either of them. Shuichi used to be so reluctant for hugs or kisses but that had changed when he got to know Kokichi better. He had definitely changed for the better. Before they knew it, they were kissing. 

A sudden knock on the door startled the, both and they broke off the kiss. Shuichi got up and opened the door. It was Maki. 

"Maki uhh—-" Shuichi said awkwardly but Maki walked straight into the room without replying. Shuichi was used to this and closed the door. Kokichi was still sitting on the bed not knowing what to do. "Shuichi thank god you're in here! I need to tell you something really important!" Maki exclaimed, more panicked than usual. 

"I think I...like.." Maki stuttered.

"Like who?!" Kokichi chimed up from the corner of the room causing Maki to jump. She obviously didn't expect Kokichi to be in there. "Oh Kokichi..I didn't realise..you'd be in here.." Maki managed to blurt out before realising what was going on. 

Kokichi was on the bed and Shuichi opened the door. "Oh..sorry I'm interupted something right?" Maki apologised. 

"You've got to tell us who it is now." Kokichi moaned, "Come on Maki, I won't tell." 

"It's nothing." Maki said, putting her defensives up. 

"Leave it Kokichi.." Shuichi instructed. 

"Fine." Kokichi rolled his eyes, "Should I go or something?" 

Maki walked towards the door but as she reached for the door handle, She paused. She needed to go but something was standing in her way. It felt like a burden that she needed to get rid of but it hurt to admit it. 

"Kaito." Maki spat out. 

Shuichi sighed but Kokichi was puzzled. It was so obvious to Shuichi, ultimate detective, that Maki liked Kaito. All the signs were them for him to see. Kokichi on the other hand, had no idea. "Seriously?!" Kokichi gasped. 

"Knew it." Shuichi giggled.

"Listen Maki, there's something we need to tell you...it's about the mastermind." Shuichi said seriously, crossing his arms. 

Maki snapped back into her serious 'mode' and queried, "What did you find?" 

"He knows who the Mastermind is!!" Kokichi chimed. 

"You do?" Maki asked inquisitively. 

Shuichi sighed. "Yes and I'm going to expose them. It's a win-loose situation here and I don't know what will happen when I do." 

Shuichi shifted uncomfortably then walked over to the door. As he tried to open it, Kokichi ran over and blocked his way out. "You're going like, right now?" Kokichi questioned anxiously.

"I need to get it over with, I can't let anyone else die." Shuichi huffed.

"BUT WHAT IF YOU DIE." Kokichi cried. 

"That's just something I'll have to avoid dealing with.." Shuichi spoke bravely.

"I don't know what I will do if you...die.." Kokichi screamed, visibly crying. 

"I'm sorry." Shuichi said, taking a deep breath. 

Shuichi quickly picked up the room key for the counter, opened the door to let himself out then locked Kokichi and Maki inside the room. 

Shuichi could hear the screaming from inside of Kokichi begging him not to but he had no choice but to go. Maki was shouting to calm him down but he blocked out their voices and headed to Tsumugi's research lab where he knew she would be. 

When he arrived at the research lab, Tsumugi was there and was working on something. Shuichi simply stood a few metres behind her and took a deep breath making her aware that he was there. Tsumugi turned around and greeted Shuichi sweetly "Good afternoon Shuichi." 

"Tsumugi." Shuichi spoke coldly. 

"What's wrong Shuichi, you can tell me, we're friends aren't we?" Tsumugi smiled. 

"We aren't friends, you have no right to call me your friend." Shuichi snapped. 

Tsumugi smiled innocently for a few seconds then her innocent smile turned to an evil smirk filled with malice. "You clever, clever boy, ha! You've figured it out then?" Tsumugi cackled. Shuichi didn't reply but instead stared right into her eyes. 

"What's your plan? How are you going to end it?" Tsumugi laughed, "If you kill me, the game won't end." 

Shuichi tried to remain strong. 

"Oooo, I have an idea!" Tsumugi cackled, "Lets make this fun." 

Tsumugi was excited, she was like a deranged child. She was laughing to herself to the extent where she looked possessed. It was pure malice, a pure desire to hurt someone was what Shuichi saw in her eyes. Something he hated and fought to avoid. 

"Fine, I'll let you out, but think about this.." Tsumugi smirked, "You're safe here, together and safe but if you go outside, who knows what will happen." 

Shuichi stopped still. 

"You would be responsible for everyone's lives outside, responsible for Kaito being separated from Maki, responsible for Himiko seeing the destroyed outside world, responsible for you and Kokichi being apart and finally responsible for my imprisonment and possible execution." Tsumugi smiled, "That is what is going happen if you do." 

"There are people waiting for us, I know it." Shuichi argued.

"You want to place that bet?" Tsumugi laughed. 

Everyone thundered into the room, Maki, Kaito, Himko, Keebo and Kokichi. They instantly ran towards Shuichi in order to try and help him but he warned them to stay back. 

"We heard everything!" Kaito exclaimed, "Tsumugi, HOW COULD YOU DO THIS?" 

Tsumugi simply tutted to herself, "Don't interupt us now, Shuichi was about to make a decision!" 

Shuichi looked down at the ground then at his friends for support. Himiko was looking at the floor and Maki, Keebo and Kaito were nodding, showing Shuichi support. Kokichi was also nodding and smiling and that proved to Shuichi what he should do. 

"Let us out." Shuichi demanded.

"So be it, follow me." Tsumugi smirked which made Shuichi feel uneasy. 

They walked over to the door then Tsumugi walked over to the retina scanner and placed her face to the scanner. The light went green and the door slowly opened. 

"You've made a mistake, you're going to regret this." Tsumugi laughed. 

"I'm never going to regret this." Shuichi replied sharply. 

Shuichi and Kokichi were close together, holding hands. As the door opened, Kokichi said words that Shuichi knew he would always carry with him and never forget.. "I love you."