"Ava Safrina Mays did you, or did you not order these books?"

I open my mouth and then close it again, ugh I can't lie to save my life. I gulp before looking at the ground, "Yes mother. . .I-i did." I flinch knowing what's coming. Somethings never change, and my mothers is not one of the.

"Ava! What the hell is wrong with you?! You should know better than to order these books." She shouts and I cower back. "We are running low on money and you choose to spend what we have left on worthless things." She spits at me with utter distaste

I want to glare at her the way she's glaring at me and spit back 'Just like the thousands of dollars you spend for the layers upon layers of makeup on your face!'

But, I, as usual zip my lips and say the words she wishes to hear, because being obedient is the best way to go. I've learned, be weak and you will please. 

"I-I'm sorry, mother." I mumble.

"Speak like you mean it." She says letting out a tsk sound. She shakes her head at me. "Sorry doesn't cut it, return the books this instance before you make me more angry." Her cold brown eyes still hold an icy glare in them and if this world was fictional, I was so sure she'd be able to bury me with her mean glare.

"But. . .but i-i" I mumble thinking of all those hours I spent looking for cheap ones so I could pass my SAT's.

Her mother face twists into an ugly frown and she taps her foot on the ground "Uh uh-" she waves her finger in front if my face. "-did I hear something?"

I sigh through my nose. "N-no mother, I-i'll get right to it. . ."

She stretches her red lips into a smile and she waves me off satisfied with my answer.

I turn around and tears of frustration fill my eyes but I hold my breath and blink them away and I ascend the stairs dragging myself back to my room where I can be in the comfort of my bed.

T H E N E X T D A Y

My arms stretch into the air as walk in to the kitchen, I immediately put them down when I see my mother sitting at the table.

The table is almost full of files and a few newspapers. My eyebrows furrow in confusion, she usually doesn't read the newspaper, somethings off. 

"Uh mother what are you doing?" I question her putting my forefinger and thumb on my chin.

Her head shoots up and she narrows her eyes at me before scoffing, "Nothing that concerns you."

Oh well. Like I honestly care.

I shrug but then I take a look at the newspapers and catch the word 'ROYAL' in bold letters before she snatches them away, I lift my hands up in defeat.

Glaring at me with her dull brown eyes she instructs me to hurry up and make breakfast for us before I get late.

After I hear her stomach grumble. I put the oil in the pan and wait for it to get hot then I put break in the toaster. I crack the eggs into the pan and ignore everytime the angry oil spits at me.

Ow, jeez oil, you need to chill. .

I put the egg into the plate along with the toast and then I hand it to my mother.

Looking at the watch I see I don't have time for breakfast, and as my mother eats the breakfast I made. I myself rush out the door and get a move on.