Part 1

"We have suspicions that a couple in this town," Steve pointed to the huge screen behind him, "has ties to the crime organisation KIRA. We are worried they might be planning an attack."

The meeting room was filled with all the Avengers and Steve who was assigning new missions.

Steve grabbed two files, "Here is everything we know about them."

"Y/N and Bucky," you straightened up at the sound of your name, " you will be going on an undercover mission. All further information is also in the files. You leave in 2 days."

Steve threw the files over the table in your directions before moving on to the next mission.

You quickly flipped through the files to get an idea of what the mission entailed. Essentially what you would have to do was pretend to be married and gain the couple's trust and figure out what they are planning.

You glanced over at Bucky trying to access how he felt about this but all you got was a brief unknown emotion quickly replaced by a reticent look. You didn't know what you hoped to see, but not being able to read him threw you off. Hopefully, he wasn't cursing Steve out in his mind for assigning the two of you on the same mission.

"Dismissed." Steve ended the meeting and you let the thought slide as you left the room.

The day had passed by in the blink of an eye and the halls were lit up with bright fluorescent lights that made your tired eyes squint in pain. You hurried into your own room, quickly slipping out of your workwear grabbing an oversized shirt laying nearby. You grabbed the file, slid under the duvet covers, and were ready to study it until you knew everything by heart.

You would be going undercover as Lisa Wright, a 24-year-old, known for being charitable and always volunteering at events. Bucky would be going undercover as Jared Wright. The recently married Lisa and Jared were currently trying for a baby and had decided that moving to the suburbs would be the best environment for a family.

Pretending to love someone would forever be one of the hardest parts of going undercover. People were quick to notice, subconsciously, if something's off. You had to sell the act or else everything would fail.

You read the next page of the file containing all the information they had gathered on the couple so far. Amy and Daniel Williams had moved to the town two years earlier from an unknown location. Further information about their lives could not be found suspiciously. They were involved in all of the town's events and had quickly snaked their way into the town community. It was now up to Bucky and you to gather more information that could possibly incriminate them.

The next day was spent preparing to leave. Furniture and other knick-knacks were taken care of for you and would arrive with you to the house. All you had to do was to fill some suitcases with enough clothes that would look realistic. You packed the usual housewife clothes like summer dresses, knowing you would have to blend in. Sifting through the clothes you had been sent took longer than expected and by the time you were done it was already evening.

"Who's ready to eat some pizza?" Wanda and Nat didn't wait for you to open the door but let themselves right in. Wanda carried two large boxes of pizza and threw them down in front you before gracefully sitting down on the armchair. Natasha came in seconds later carrying a bottle of wine and three glasses.

"I guess I am." you laughed helping Natasha put down the glasses on the small table before sitting down on the couch. You reached out to open the bottle pouring the liquid into the glasses.

Working top secret missions and risking your lives on a daily basis took a toll on you. Friends weren't something you got easily, the worry that they would be targeted stopped most of you from forming any. The girls had been a pleasant surprise and nights like these could almost make you feel like a normal woman.

"So what does your mission entail?" Wanda asked curiously.

You took a sip of your glass before answering, "I have to pretend to be married to Bucky so we can gather information."

Natasha raised her eyebrow smirking over the rim of her glass. "Bucky, huh?"

"Stop, don't make it something it isn't."

"The two of you do look awfully close..." Wanda added remembering all the times she walked in on the two of you sitting close laughing together.

"We're just friends. Good friends."

"Very good friends, indeed." Nat didn't miss the flush that crept over your neck as you grabbed a piece of pizza trying to change the subject.

"What about you guys?" The girls let the topic lie, letting you off the hook for now.

You spent a few hours just catching up with the girls and relaxing before it was time for bed. Tomorrow you would be in a completely different town pretending to be someone else possibly endangering your life. When you would be back was unknown but hopefully, it would be soon.

The house looked like it came directly out of a movie with its white picket fence and gorgeous garden. The surrounding houses looked exactly the same and fit the picturesque town.

"Where do you want this?" One of the men helping you move pointed to the couch.

"Oh, just in here." You lead the way showing him to the living room. You were almost finished getting the larger furniture into the house so you started unboxing the boxes to the kitchen.

Bucky was currently upstairs assembling your new bed. The bed the two of you would be sharing. Sleeping in together. Oh boy. The girls might have been correct about the two of you being close. But this would bring you into entirely new territory.

The house started to look put together after a few intense hours of unboxing. There was still some boxes left but those would have to wait till tomorrow. The downstairs was almost done and just needed a few personal touches.

"Doll, are you ready to eat? I made us dinner," Bucky asked sticking his head around the corner so he could look at you.

You followed him through the kitchen to the small dining room. "You made lasagna?" you exclaimed delightfully.

"You told me once it was your favourite," He shrugged casually.

"I can't believe you remembered" You gave him a soft smile, "Shall we?"

You both sat down and Bucky began cutting into the lasagna. You gave him your plate silently and soon the two of you were eating peacefully.

"I saw a few curious neighbours looking through their windows when I was outside," Bucky said.

"Well, they probably haven't seen new faces in a while," you wiped your mouth carefully with a napkin.

"It is a small town, " Bucky agreed, "I'm sure tomorrow someone will come knocking."

You hummed, "This is probably the last night we can be ourselves without having to worry about being bugged."

"Well, let's enjoy it then." He raised his glass in cheers.

"To a night with no worries." You repeated clinking your glasses together.

The rest of the night was uneventful. Bucky somehow got the TV to work so you spent a few hours watching a movie before you decided it was time for bed.

"I'm gonna go to bed," you told Bucky getting up from the couch.

"I'll be up soon," he responded.

You changed into some of the nightwear you brought with you and after finishing your nightly routine you slid into the newly made bed. By the time Bucky joined you were already half asleep.

"Goodnight, doll," he whispered putting the duvet that had slid off over you again. He paused for a moment before you felt his hand brush some hair back. He laid back down with a sigh. Tomorrow all your troubles would begin and hopefully, you would both come out of it unscathed.