twenty-one - blake morgan

Start from the beginning

I think he noticed that I was checking him out because a smirk formed on his lips as he said, "Um, hello?" I shook out of my daze and came back to reality.

"Oh, um, I don't recommend it," I lightly laughed. "If you want something sweet I would go with the cherry pie. It's great here."

"Cool, thanks," he said with a nice smile. "I'm Blake by the way," he extended his hand out for me to shake.

"Noel," I told him, shaking his hand.

"That's a pretty name," he told me. "Do you live around here?"

"Uh, yeah, born and raised. How 'bout you," I asked him.

"I just moved here from Ohio," he told me. "I lived on the southside of Columbus. Not much of a difference on the southside of Chicago."

"Wow really, I never thought there would be another place out there as bad as it is here," I stated.

"Oh, believe me, there are places much worse than here," he chuckled.

"So, when did you move here," I asked him. Usually I would never make conversation with strangers, but, for some reason, I can't stop talking to him.

"A little over a month ago, I go to school over at South," he told me.

"Oh, me too. What grade," I asked him.

"Eighth grade," he answered, turning his chair a little more to the side to face me some more.

"Wow, me too," I laughed. "How come I've never seen you?"

"Uh," he looked down at his feet as if he was embarrassed. "I take all AP and honors classes."

"Lucky," I laughed. "You look ashamed to say that. Why?"

"I just don't like making myself out to be a show off. I don't wanna make it seem like I think I'm better than everyone else, when really I'm not. I'm a fast learner and I love school, it's a nice break from all the crazy shit that goes on at home," he explained.

"Well, don't be embarrassed or ashamed of it. Embrace it, being smart is cool," I told him. A big smile formed on his face. He looked like he was about to say something else, until he was interrupted by Fiona.

"Hey, kiddo you figure out what you want," she asked me.

"Uh, just the usual," I told her. "Vanilla shake and fries."

"Okay, and what about you," she turned her attention to Blake who still had his eyes on me. However, he quickly looked away when he realized Fiona was talking to him.

"Oh, can I try the cherry pie," he asked.

"Of course! That's El's favorite," Fi said, winking at me as she took both of our menus and walked away.

Blake and I sat in an awkward silence for a moment before he finally broke it.

"So, I don't really have any friends here yet and I would really like to make atleast one before Christmas break. Do you want to hang out sometime," he asked me.

"Sure, I'd love to," I stated. "Here, let me see your phone." He took his phone out of his pocket, unlocked it, and handed it to me without hesitation. I gently took the phone from his hands and put my number into his contact list. "There, now you have my number," I told him, handing his phone back to him.

"Cool, thanks," he said, placing his phone back into his pocket.

"We can hang out whenever," I told him, just as Fiona came back with our orders.

"Dig in, kiddos," she said. She began to walk away and then turned around when she heard someone come into the small diner. Her smile faded and turned into a sad frown when she saw who it was. I quickly turned, coming face to face with none other than Carl.

"Carl," I said, standing up. He stood there, his hands in his pockets, no emotion on his face.

"Where's Frank," he asked, not saying another word. Fiona and I both shrugged.

"Have you tried the Alibi," Fi asked.

"Where have you been," I asked him, ignoring what Fiona just said. But, right as I took a step closer, he turned and headed out of the diner. My face fell and my heart broke at that very moment.

I turned around and sat back down in my seat, taking a small bite of a fry.

"Are you okay? Who was that," Blake asked.

"That was Carl...," I started, "my boyfriend."

"O-Oh, okay," Blake stuttered, looking away and taking a bite of his pie.

"Yeah..." I mumbled to myself.

-

a/n: so... boring asf chapter. but how are you liking this new character? what do you think will happen between blake and el? carl and el? predictions? questions? comment!!

love you guys sm!!