Chapter 67

*Your POV*
I'm walking with Betty and Polly down the hall.

"Again, I'm really sorry about your photos, (Y/N)." she says.

"Relax, it's okay. I'll get over it." I say. We both walk over to her locker, but it's surrounded by people, taking pictures. "What the hell?"

We push passed everyone, and see what everyone was looking at. Her article, tapped on her locker. "GO TO HELL SERPENT SLUT" is written in blood all over it, with a rag doll hanging by it. "Shit..." I say. I look over at Betty and Polly, and they just stare at it.

I look over again to my right, and see Jug, Archie, Veronica pushing through the crowd, as well. They take one look at it, and Jug goes in front of it.

"Betty..." he says. She steps closer to him, trying to get the mess off. "Betty, hey, no."

"Jug, it's nothing it's just a jerk with a can of spray paint." She keeps trying to push passed him, but he stops her, and pushes her back into Archie.

"I don't think that's spray paint." Archie says. He takes her away, and Veronica follows.

I step up to the scene and turn around. "What the hell are you all looking at? It's over! Keep walking to fucking class!" I yell.

Everyone starts talking, and stops taking pictures. They all continue walking to class. I sigh and drop my bag. Jug rolls over a big trash can, and I start tearing the mess down. I take all the paper down, and throw the doll in the trash.

"Whoever did this is going to get thrown into grinder." I say.

"Whoa, (Y/N). Calm down." Jug says.

I stop. "I'm sorry." I continue to take the mess down, and finally finish. Jug rolls the big trash can back to where it was before. I look at my hands, and they're covered in that blood. I sigh, "I'm gonna go get cleaned up." That isn't the first time I've said that.

"Okay.." he says.

The bell rings, but I don't' even care. I grab my bag and walk to the bathroom. I turn on the sink, and all the blood goes down the drain. Veronica comes in.

"I told her not to do it." I say. "I told her not to publish it. And so did Alice."

I turn around. "Yeah...I kind of had those doubts, too when she showed us that she posted it on the Blue and Gold."

"Yeah.." I grab my bag, and dry my hands. I walk out the door, and to class. When I walk in, everyone looks at me. I sit down.

"You're late, Ms. (L/N)." the teacher says.

"I was cleaning up a mess." I say.

~
*Betty's POV*
I walk inside to see Polly and Mom sitting on the couch.

"You took Polly to school?" Mom says.

"I'm sorry, Betty." Polly says.

"Nothing happened at school, it was fine." I say.

"Fine? Oh, so no one wrote "Go to hell serpent slut" on your locker and hung a 'Betty' doll from the noose?" my Mom says.

I scoff, "You really just can't keep your mouth shut, can you?" I walk into the kitchen.

"Hey, do not blame your sister," Mom stands up and follows me. "I would've found out about you taking her and publishing to the Blue and Gold anyways." She steps closer to me. "Betty, I told you not to publish that, why do you keep disobeying me!?"

"Because." I snap and turn around. "I am sick, of all of the secrets, the lies, the only things that seem to exist in this town, and in this family." She scoffs, "I would much rather take a little bit of heat for being honest, than do what you're doing." I point at her.

"And what is that?"

"Living in fear and the truth."

"I am scared for you, Elizabeth. I am not scared of the truth."

"Oh really? Let's go then." I lean a little closer, and she makes a questioning face. "You talk a big game about liking Jughead and (Y/N), but honestly wouldn't you just be so much happier if I'd never met them?" she scoffs. "Yeah. I thought so."

"Question number two. When FP came over for dinner, he talked about how you and Dad got in huge fight during your homecoming. What was that about?"

She looks to the side. "I have no idea what you're talking about." She says, quickly.

"I hate it when people say that. Come on, Mom. I saw the look on your face. You were terrified. Terrified of what he was going to say next."

Her eyes start to water. "It is none of your damn business."

I slowly walk around the counter, and up to her, nodding my head. "Dad was keeping a big secret that almost destroyed us. But exactly how many are you keeping?" and with that, I walk out.

"Betty-" I hear Polly say, but I ignore her.

I walk upstairs and go into my room and shut the door. I clean up around a little bit, putting some stuff in my bag. A couple minutes later, I hear a knock on my door, and then it opens. My mom comes in, with puffy eyes, because of her crying.

I look over at her and sigh. "Here for round two?" I cross my arms.

She closes the door and leans up against it, looking to the side. After a second, she starts walking over to my bed. "There are some secrets, that are so painful. It's hard to hide them from the world, but also from yourself."

I nod my head, "What do you mean?"

She sighs, and sits on my bed. "The night of...the Homecoming, when your father and I were crowned king and queen, that fight that FP saw." I slightly nod, "I had just told your father that I was pregnant." That made me look up. "And...we had disagreed on how it would be best to handle, things." She pauses, "And then the next day, I went away."

"To the Sisters of Quiet Mercy." I finish.

"Yeah. And, five months later, your older brother was born. The Sisters had arranged for a quiet adoption." She continues.

I just nod my head, and my eyes start to water. I walk over to her, and sit on the bed. "Mom...I am so sorry."

She starts softly crying. "It was the biggest regret of my life, Elizabeth." I nod my head, and my eyes are watery, too. "I am so sorry." We hug, and she cries more. "I am so sorry, honey."

"It's okay, Mom." I sniff.

-------------------------
Word Count: 1120