Chapter 58

*Your POV*

We're all sitting in the cafeteria at lunch, reading the paper.

"The paper says, that FP worked alone." Betty says, and puts the paper down.

"No mention of your dad, Ronnie. That's good news." Archie says.

Veronica nods, "Yeah. But I can't stop thinking, that maybe my dad hired another Serpent to plant the gun." We all look at her.

"It's surreal, isn't it." Kevin comes up to us and sits. "How's Jughead doing?"

"Not good." I say.

"He's not coming in today. He's at the station." Arch says.

"Being grilled by your dad." Veronica says.

"Well, I mean he's just doing his job." I defend.

"Yeah, I mean, of course he's gonna ask Jug questions." Kevin says.

"Okay well he's wasting his time, Kev." Betty snaps.

"Betty.." I whisper.

"FP didn't. Kill. Jason." She says.

"Betty, he confessed."

"Or he was coerced. Maybe, protecting someone? Maybe a Serpent? My mom, saw him and Joaquin talking together."

"Don't! Do not, drag my boyfriend into this." Kevin says.

"Yeah..B, you really need to calm down." I say.

"Says you." She snaps.

I back away just a little bit, and she's realized what she just said, and looks like she definitely regrets it.

"Oh, no." Archie says. I look over to where he's looking.

"What?" Veronica asks. Everyone stares at Jughead, walking through the cafeteria. "What happened to him not coming in today?"

He walks passed us and over to Cheryl. Cheryl looks up at him. He sniffs, "I'm sorry, Cheryl."

She stands up, slowly, steps closer to him, and slaps him across the face. She starts pummeling him and crying. I quickly get up, along with Arch and Veronica. I run over to her and grab her, trying to pull her away, and I manage to.

"Enough!" Weatherbee comes in and gets the wrong idea. Cheryl walks off, "Mr. Jones, you need to come with me. Right now."

Jughead doesn't even try to defend himself, so I do. "What the hell, he was just apologizing! He didn't do anything wrong!" I say. I feel a hand on my shoulder, and I'm pretty sure it's Archie's.

"Right now!" Jug and Weatherbee walk out of the room.

I groan, and walk towards the bathroom, where Cheryl ran off to. I open the door, to see Cheryl at the mirror, crying. "Cheryl?"

"I barely touched him." Lie.

"Right." I say quietly, and walk over to her. "It's not his fault, Cheryl. Even if his dad did do it, it's..."

"Everybody keeps coming up to me, and hugging me. Saying that I should be glad that Jason's killer has been found. And that everything will be back to normal." She pauses, and turns around. "So why doesn't it feel normal?"

I go up closer to her. "Because nothing ever is. Nothing is ever normal. Not in this town, or any town for that matter."

She looks down, "Yeah. I guess so."

I sigh, "Come here." I hold my arms out and pull her into a long hug.

~

I'm sitting out of the office, and wait for Jug to be done. I hear a slam of a door and quickly look behind me. Jug comes out starts walking. I stand up and walk beside him. "What happened in there?" I ask.

"My second interrogation of the day. Don't know who's more of a dick. Keller or Weatherbee."

"Well, don't listen to them. Everyone else is wrong. You're dad's innocent, we just need to prove it."

He stops, and so I do, too. I turn around. His hands are on his hips, and he takes a deep breathe. "Who killed him, then, (Y/N)? Tell me."

"Well I'm just saying that-"

"Look." He interrupts me, "If it wasn't my dad, then who else could've possibly killed Jason Blossom? He said he did. He confessed to Keller. And you know, I've been waiting my whole life, for that man," he points behind him, referencing to FP, "to do the right thing. Now I'm done. And you should be, too." He walks passed me and down the hallway.

"Jug..." I say. But I'm too late.

-------------------------
Word Count: 829